Duck leg Conundrum

smishi

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate some help with my issue I have..
I hatched a mallard duckling, and she came out with her legs folded underneath her. They straightened out quite quickly as she grew and they became almost normal and very functional. Well one day she tweaked something and went lame, due to the slight weakness in her legs.
I kept her in a confined area until she appeared almost completely better. I then moved her into a big run with the others as she was fully grown and keeping her confined was cruel.
Now she has more space she's lame again and her elbow joint is warm and slightly swollen. This is obviously something she's going to have to live with, and she's quite happy in herself, eating and bathing etc, but if it's warm and she's lame she's obviously aggravating it as she's using it.. But I don't know what to do about it
1f615.png

Any suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.
Thanks
1f60a.png

Here's a pic of her
1f60a.png

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your duck. I am in a similar situation. My khaki campbell duck was injured at 5 weeks in a duck stampede. She had to be confined in a coop and enclosed kennel for the past 6 weeks. She could always see the other ducks but I felt so sorry for her. She has been recovering great and now can be out with them for supervised time. She is not recovered enough to be with them full time. Unfortunately your duck may need to be confined again until she recovers from her set back. Once that happens then maybe a slow introduction to help prevent any set backs. Like yours mine eats,drinks and preens like the others but physically she's not able to be with the flock at this point. I try not to focus on her being lonely. I think as long as they can see the others while they are recoving. She wont be happy with the others if she can't physically be well plus unfortunately the flock will pick up on the under dog and not always be nice. Best of luck.

So sorry to hear about your duck. I am in a similar situation. My khaki campbell duck was injured at 5 weeks in a duck stampede. She had to be confined in a coop and enclosed kennel for the past 6 weeks. She could always see the other ducks but I felt so sorry for her. She has been recovering great and now can be out with them for supervised time. She is not recovered enough to be with them full time. Unfortunately your duck may need to be confined again until she recovers from her set back. Once that happens then maybe a slow introduction to help prevent any set backs. Like yours mine eats,drinks and preens like the others but physically she's not able to be with the flock at this point. I try not to focus on her being lonely. I think as long as they can see the others while they are recoving. She wont be happy with the others if she can't physically be well plus unfortunately the flock will pick up on the under dog and not always be nice. Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply, yes that did cross my mind.. I may have to do that
1f615.png
1f615.png

Feel so bad for her but I guess it's for the best in the long run
1f60a.png

What is important to find out if it is bacterial, or physical Swollen hock can mean different things.

It's definitely physical, I saw her go from fine to very lame in a few seconds when it first happened
1f615.png

I have a pekin that developed a limp foot,after several vets giving her antibiotic ,one tested for bacteria or structural, the hocks are very swollen, the foot started being used after I made a splint or shoe,which she worn and began to walk again. their is an article on line How to splint a bird leg or foot. Good Luck with your bird

Can you put Epsom salt compresses on her? Or stand her in a bucket with Epsom salt water? Don't let her drink it, it is a laxative.

I also sometimes use T-Relief gel, just a little dab on the leg.

Back
Top Bottom