Duck leg injury!

thatgirlmaude

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
My dog escaped the fence and injured a runner duck. Still fairly new to ducks, we managed to get the blood to stop and treated the wound with veterycin, but one leg is stiff, cold and foot is a different color than the other. Is there any hope or anything I can do for the poor thing? It’s a Sunday and vets are not open.

Some pictures of her leg would be great.

Post pictures first, but if the leg was injured severely, and is taking on a dark-ish discoloration, and is cold, odds are blood flow is being restricted, possibly due to damage of the medial metatarsal vein. In which case, I'd likely put down.

If the leg now appears to be normal, you can flush the wound with fluids, either chlorhexidine, saline or betadine. Once the debris/contaminants have been adequately flushed out, you can apply an antibotic ointment, or use a poultry spray like Vetericyn. Keep her inside, with feed and water, away from flies.

Some pictures of her leg would be great.

Post pictures first, but if the leg was injured severely, and is taking on a dark-ish discoloration, and is cold, odds are blood flow is being restricted, possibly due to damage of the medial metatarsal vein. In which case, I'd likely put down.

If the leg now appears to be normal, you can flush the wound with fluids, either chlorhexidine, saline or betadine. Once the debris/contaminants have been adequately flushed out, you can apply an antibotic ointment, or use a poultry spray like Vetericyn. Keep her inside, with feed and water, away from flies.
I think this is exactly what happened, and he didn’t make it very long after I posted this. Thank you so much for trying to help, I was really hoping I could save him. He didn’t act like he was in shock and was drinking on his own like normal, so I thought for a minute he might be ok.

I think this is exactly what happened, and he didn’t make it very long after I posted this. Thank you so much for trying to help, I was really hoping I could save him. He didn’t act like he was in shock and was drinking on his own like normal, so I thought for a minute he might be ok.
I’m so very sorry for your loss. At least you tried your best to save him. Sometimes it just isn’t meant to be. :(:hugs

Very sorry for your loss. :hugs

I’m sorry that he passed. For anyone else reading this with the same problem though, if the bone is broken it can clamp the arteries. So you can kind of reset it by gently pulling the bone out and letting it almost pull back to where it belongs. Even if an animal doesn’t seem in shock post-injury pain can cause shock, so pain killers and warmth are a nescessity. You can’t save them all unfortunately and good on you for trying.

For anyone else reading this with the same problem though, if the bone is broken it can clamp the arteries. So you can kind of reset it by gently pulling the bone out and letting it almost pull back to where it belongs. Even if an animal doesn’t seem in shock post-injury pain can cause shock, so pain killers and warmth are a nescessity.

Do you have any literature on this?

Back
Top Bottom