Duck lonely and depressed after sister died

mariajames49

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
Help please...

My 14 year old khaki campbell duck is very sad, lonely and depressed, as her sister (also aged 14) sadly died over the weekend.
Of course I don't want to rush out and get another duck to keep her company. I have ordered a cuddly toy duck from Amazon today to put in the nesting box with her for night times and hope it helps .

I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience as to what I can do to help her? It makes me so sad ,she is sitting in the corner of the nesting box and won't come out, she is also not eating at the moment.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards
Maria

It is a very hard situation to be left with just one duck, but it's understandable that you wouldn't want a new duck since yours is so old, and you may not want to have ducks forever. All I can recommend is either just spending as much time with her yourself as possible, or I would even consider rehoming to a place that does have other ducks for her to live out the rest of her life if you never plan to get more ducks again.

I certainly wouldn't rehome her at her age. Other unknown ducks might beat up on her because she is old or try to kill her. Age wise, isn't she nearing the end of her life? I would look for another older duck, or maybe two youngsters. Although I once got two younger ferrets for an old one who was depressed because he lost his brother, but he only found them totally irritating and died a short time later. Your old girl might just adjust to being alone and do okay for the rest of her days.

if you can keep her inside when you are inside, then she may be able to be happy with you (just because she is so old, usually i would never recommend keeping just one duck) but if she is just gonna be an outside duck then it is not healthy for her to be alone so much and you will need to find another duck for her

if you choose to keep her alone then i recommend getting her lots of toys to keep her busy, i can send some links to my ducks favorite toys if you’d like?

also i VERY STRONGLY recommend the snuggle puppy for her, it is a stuffed animal with a heart beat and heating pad so will make her feel like she isn’t alone when you aren’t home

Back
Top Bottom