Duck not growing.

How does his keel bone feel?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gaiavets.com/gaia-toast-kopi-talk/check-your-birds-shape?format=amp

If he doesn't seem under weight, and is eating and drinking properly, my guess would be he has genes that make him a bantam. They had to breed call ducks from some genes in the mallards, no reason to say it can't happen unintentionally too.
No he is pretty hefty not bony. Being small is okay, it's being small and no sign of getting feathers that really worries me

No he is pretty hefty not bony. Being small is okay, it's being small and no sign of getting feathers that really worries me
Well that is good his weight is doing good. Hmm the no feathers is odd. Purina duck should be perfectly fine for ducks and have a good amount of protein. You could try something like rooster booster poultry cell. It has a wide range of minerals and vitamins good for ducks and in good amounts too. We have seen it help other ducks, maybe it would work here too. It certainly will not hurt. @HollowOfWisps recommends it and I think it was her that has mentioned long ago about a certain vitamin that is good for duck feathers.

We have had others here before with tiny ducks. I'm sorry to say none of them made it. Your little guy looks healthy just looks about 4 weeks not 3 months. I was asking her breeding cause others with this problem had been line breeding. you have not. As long as she's eating drinking and happy, you have extra duckling time. Do the others pick on her?

We have had others here before with tiny ducks. I'm sorry to say none of them made it. Your little guy looks healthy just looks about 4 weeks not 3 months. I was asking her breeding cause others with this problem had been line breeding. you have not. As long as she's eating drinking and happy, you have extra duckling time. Do the others pick on her?
I separated because of the size difference they didn't pick then. But would run it over. Loves to cuddle in on my lap.

Boards might be rough on her feet - you might want to consider shavings or hay so you don't run into problems - their feet are so tender.
I agree. Its not sure permanent solution just what I had readily available til I can get something built. With the cooler nights it will be coming inside over night. Likes it's lap time with me in the evening. 😊 I do too!
20220816_194047.jpg

Since you have access to Purina I would switch to Purina's Flock Raiser. It is a little higher in protein, but particularly higher in Methionine which is crucial for feather growth. Purina's Duck Pellets are .40% methionine while their flock raiser is .55% methionine which may not seem like a huge difference, but it definitely is. I have a duck who is full grown, but still a tad smaller than the rest and she will not properly molt on anything less than .50% methionine. I also (as @Quatie said above) would put your duckling on Rooster Booster's "Poultry Cell".

On a separate note does you duckling have water deep enough to fill submerge it's head? It looks a little crusty around the eyes. I also agree I would get your duckling off of the mesh floor asap. That type of flooring is both painful and stressful for webbed feet (stress can also contribute to health issues in ducks).

Back
Top Bottom