Duck or Drake? (Khaki Campbell)

These are my two hens, fully grown.

89286_2011-09-18_191039.jpg

89286_2011-09-18_191116.jpg

89286_2011-09-18_191029.jpg

Those are the hens. Inmature drakes look very much like a mature hen. Heres a pic of my drake. Before he got his adult plumage.

89286_img00152-20110710-1558.jpg

And this is him right after he got his adult plumage.

89286_img00034-20110725-1126.jpg

Hope this helps!
How cool! My Khaki / Rouen mix has one of those little tuffs on her her heard also. I wonder why?

How cool! My Khaki / Rouen mix has one of those little tuffs on her her heard also. I wonder why?

I realize this is an old thread, but I just got four Khaki Campbell ducklings and all have very dark legs. From what I've been reading (After I got the ducklings) I've read the drakes have orange legs yet in the pictures on this thread I see hens with orange mottled legs. Will my ducklings' legs change color? Is there any clue to their sex yet by the color of the legs?

I realize this is an old thread, but I just got four Khaki Campbell ducklings and all have very dark legs. From what I've been reading (After I got the ducklings) I've read the drakes have orange legs yet in the pictures on this thread I see hens with orange mottled legs. Will my ducklings' legs change color? Is there any clue to their sex yet by the color of the legs?
My Khaki female's legs and bill are both a darkish charcoal color. I don't have a Khaki males but I they have greenish bills and orangish legs.
There won't be any clue as ducklings. Those change later. Your first clue will probably be when they are around three or four weeks old. The females will quack, the males (like most men) will mutter.

Your khaki is a drake. But you have very pretty Muscovies. If your scovies are all girls I think you'll be fine having a drake without another female. But I don't know how many ducks you have.

Dont always trust the curly tail feathers when picking out new 'adult' ducks, any flock with the absence of a drake will have a 'mock drake' female, that will grow curls and assume the dominant role... its generally all about head colour and vocals, drakes dont 'quack' they kinda make a mumbly chirp.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom