Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
Here is a pic from today... that's Captain Nemo in front and Nibbler behind. Nemo. It was very bright this afternoon and the glare is terrible... so is the green algae! After the ducks went in for the night... you can see the waterfall and rock steps leading to their nap zone under the palm, which used to be covered in soft Irish and Scotch moss. Now it is covered in poop and feathers! View from the other side... unfortunately, they ate all of Buddha's golden creeping jenny. And the 'Bowles golden' sedge that was there before it. Ugh. It is a constant battle! Hope you enjoy the pics...
My ducks, Jager & Meister want to come for a "spend the rest of their lives" party! What a beautiful home for your ducks. I am envious!

Beautiful pictures! My pond is a huge runoff collection pond about 2-3 feet deep (when full) but I've noticed that this year it is practically a swamp/bog. I noticed what looked like the bottom of the pond now that its a bit low, but when I stuck a hoe in it, it just sunk in through a foot of decaying, bubbling, stinking leaves. Is there any way to make it less swampy, like something to stop the bubbly boggy decaying process that's going on without having to rake out a hundred years worth of dead leaves? I wish it would all just sink down and give my ducks a few feet of regular water to swim in instead of bubbly mucky leaf soup!
What your pond is doing is making more pond clay. It is my opinion that if you try and rake everything out your pond will stop holding water.

Its a circle about 50-75 feet wide and maybe 3 feet deep when full to the "true" bottom (when I shove a stick down into it) but its only a few inches deep from the top of the water to the boggy layer of decaying mass that blankets the bottom. Now its even covered with duck week, so I'm suspecting its oxygen poor. I'm going to have some one come drain it and muck it out with a track hoe

What a pretty pair.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom