Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
I'm thinking of using the following tub to build a small pond for ducks I want to acquire later this year. Any glaring reasons why it's a bad fit? I'm thinking of positioning this or something like it into a small pit of gravel, with a drain valve and a drain pipe leaded away waste water for daily emptying and hosing out.

This is 51.614 inches long by 30.984 inches wide by 12.008 inches high.

Seems a bit more reliable than a kiddie pool but looking for better solutions.

I'm thinking of using the following tub to build a small pond for ducks I want to acquire later this year. Any glaring reasons why it's a bad fit? I'm thinking of positioning this or something like it into a small pit of gravel, with a drain valve and a drain pipe leaded away waste water for daily emptying and hosing out. This is [COLOR=111111]51.614 inches long by 30.984 inches wide by 12.008 inches high.[/COLOR] [COLOR=111111]Seems a bit more reliable than a kiddie pool but looking for better solutions.[/COLOR]
I am thinking about getting that particular one this spring if my husband will let me spend the money. It is deeper than my current kiddie pool and wag easier to emply since it doesn't bend in half. I put a hose valve on my old kiddie pool and that was an epic fail. There was not enough pressure to drain. Now with my current in I just dump it every other day. Thw pool is in the flower bed that is covered by mulch so I don't really care how muddy it got because nothing was growing there anyway. I think if you are going to any pool with a drain valve it needs to be higher than the ground to have enough pressure to drain through a hose. My rain barrel is elevated a foot off the ground and has much better pressure to drain with I would assume the same thing applies to the pool.

I currently have 6 ducks and want to get a few more. I currently can not dig a natural pond for them at the moment . If we buy this place, I will eventually put in a pond on the other side of the yard. But I want something that is big enough/deep for them to swim in. I saw on here someone had used pallets with a pond liner in it. I really liked that idea. Would it be possible to put a drain in the pond liner? For ease of cleaning it. And how deep of water do ducks need to be able to swim? And would a 3 foot by 3 foot square duck pond be big enough for more than 6 ducks?

The Rubbermaid tubs are awesome. You might want to consider getting the 100 gal (deeper) tub rather than the shallower one, to allow your ducks to dive (and to make the water last a little longer). I plan on using the taller Rubbermaid tub for my new ducks I plan on getting in the spring (adding a couple concrete blocks inside for a step out). It will mean a bit more to build a ramp & deck, but I think it will be well worth it to be able to stretch out the water changings a bit longer. Should be able to hook up a pvc drain valve and pipe easier to the plug port on the tub, unlike a pond insert where you'd have to cut a hole and install a port fitting.

A great place to look for these is on Craigslist in the farm section. The Rubbermaid tubs hold up a long time, and with some bleach water or vinegar water most used tubs should clean out very nicely. I have one that my horses have used for a good 12 years and it is still in good working order.

Last edited:
One thing I did last year to the duck pen that I made (6' high chain link panels) was to dig a shallow trench along one side of the pen and I planted a bunch of tall wild grass clumps that grow native around the area. I was cleaning out the growth around some of my pear trees and I didn't want to just throw them out (thinking that the ducks or chickens would love these). So I planted a bunch of this stuff and some large clumps of clover, etc. along the side of my pen and the trench made a perfect place to dump the duck water. It worked perfectly! The ducks kept it trimmed, but the outer side of the grasses, where the ducks couldn't reach, grew tall enough to give some shade in the afternoon, as well as, made a nice border on that side of the fence. It also gave the ducks something to do for the times when they couldn't be out free ranging.

I use a couple of mixing tubs I got at Lowes. I think they were only about $10 or so each. They're about 2' x 3', but less than a foot deep. After reading some terrible stories on here, I was afraid the boys would drown the girls so I didn't want to water to be too deep, just in case. They're very sturdy and hold up to being dumped SO much better than kiddie pools. They can still splash like crazy, as evidenced by this photo. ;)

One thing I did last year to the duck pen that I made (6' high chain link panels) was to dig a shallow trench along one side of the pen and I planted a bunch of tall wild grass clumps that grow native around the area.  I was cleaning out the growth around some of my pear trees and I didn't want to just throw them out (thinking that the ducks or chickens would love these). So I planted a bunch of this stuff and some large clumps of clover, etc. along the side of my pen and the trench made a perfect place to dump the duck water.  It worked perfectly!  The ducks kept it trimmed, but the outer side of the grasses, where the ducks couldn't reach, grew tall enough to give some shade in the afternoon, as well as, made a nice border on that side of the fence.  It also gave the ducks something to do for the times when they couldn't be out free ranging.

Back
Top Bottom