Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
I know the feeling Nettie all to well.... Mine just finally got out of the house at over 2 months old
and I had a very wet bathroom.... gotta luv em lol
love.gif

Quote:
OMG this is beautiful!

I have 5 ducks (a pair of black east indies, and a new pair of lavender call ducks and new chocolate call duck hen), and a pretty small yard. I also keep fish and have always wanted a koi/fish pond... I know in the fish world, the key is to have enough filtration for the space and bioload of your critters, and I tend towards WAY more filtration then the minimum anyway. Does anyone know if that's similar for a duck pond? Could I reasonably build a pond with enough filtration to keep a couple of fish and just change the filter regularly like I do with my aquariums and have it stay clean for the birds?

~K~

you will need a LOT of filtration, but if you set it up right, it can be a matter of every day, or every few days pulling out a cartridge (like a pool filter) and rinsing with the hose....

fish on their own aren't really that bad if you have good water movement and plants, but add the ducks... mess....

also, be ready for your ducks to eat your plants and your fish...

if the fish are large enough they may be safe, and if the plants are established well enough before the ducks are introduced you might be fine, but don't buy anything you're not prepaired to lose or replace....
i would say don't spend $40 on a 5" koi.... a 12" koi would probly be safe, but those are serious money.. at least out here in vegas area...

you could build your pond, let your ducks loose and throw in a couple dozen feeder fish every once in a while... some will survive and grow, some will be lunch...

you can provide hidey holes for the fish and the'll be more likley to survive... somewhere that the fish can get in and away from the ducks, that the ducks can't get into or knock over.. etc....

good luck...

Quote:
Okay this one needs more info. What a great pond! Is it home made? How do you keep it clean? How I would LOVE to have swans someday.

WHOOPS guess there was more info further down the thread I never was one to be very patient
roll.png

Last edited:
you could build your pond, let your ducks loose and throw in a couple dozen feeder fish every once in a while... some will survive and grow, some will be lunch

That's exactly what I did.​

Back
Top Bottom