Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
Hi. To the duck owner in COLD Canada. I live in Lindsay Ontario. I have two ponds that i empty every winter and i fill them with straw. My ducks love to gather ontop of that through the day. Last year i got a couple of large black rubber tubs from tsc. They are easy to pick up and dump outside of the run. They are big enough for three or four of them to swim, mate and play in. But still small enough to lift and dump, and because they're rubber you can bang them on the ground to get the ice out and the wont break or crack like other containers. I couldnt go through a winter without them. Angie. Glad to be back on here again.

GREAT ADVICE! :)
Especially if it is your first winter with ducks :) I would start small and keep it simple and easy. I have had both large and small pools and really like smaller better. You will never be without a flexible rubber tub again. Wanna know what else I like for extra duck tubs? Snow saucers/sled filled with water! lol. Of course I had a couple laying around and one day dumped a bucket of water in one. The ducks loved it. lol. And they aren't too hard to get ice out of either. But definately do the rubber tub thingy. The round flexible rubber kind. I cracked the other kind, masonry mixing tub (hard plastic) last winter...but it worked for a while and I could even get ice out of it unless it was so solid that it warped the plastic. Skip the kiddie pools though

I use this shed for extra storage for my chickens, you know cages, etc. I have a bit more cleaning to do, Outside is left over from the previous owner of the property. So cleaning is going to be a MUST! I have a video as well for the outside. Most it as soon as possible

Wow! You've got your work cut out for you! I can see why you want to keep it simple!

We followed the instructions we got on this forum and modified a plastic kiddy pool. We cut a hole in the bottom of the pool and attached a urinal spud gasket to it. Then attached a hose and ran it in a small ditch out about 5 feet. Here we attached an on-off valve for draining. The open-close valve is protected from the elements in a plastic cat litter container (with a lid). There is a hole that goes out the other side of the container to finish draining.

The first one we made, we faithfully followed the original instructions that had the urinal spud gasket on the side of the pool, but that always left water in the bottom that needed to be scooped out. With the gasket on the bottom, it drains out nicely. Protecting the open/close valve in the cat litter box works like a dream as well.

Happy ducks, happier humans.

Once upon a time in late August 2004 there was a field with some faulty terracotta land drains running through it down to my ditch and I thought, that low wet area might make a good pond.

So I spoke to a nice man with a digger and I said dig until you can't get rid of any more of the spoil making it bigger rather than deeper.
So he dug

and scraped

And dug till there was no where left to spread the clay and also because it was already starting to fill.

My two eldest boys thought it was quite amazing.

so cool
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom