Duck Recipies?-My first experience

neverbdone

Songster
14 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Lake Isabella, CA
I hope I'm posting in the right place. If not, please move as appropriate MODs.

I have searched the internet to no avail. Seems all the recipies I can find are sweet and foofoo. I can cook fancy food, but its just not as good as real home cooking. So, I thought I would go to the source of all knowledge, experience, and taste at BYC.

You see, I will be "getting" my first muscovy dinner very soon. He is currently about 18 lbs so I was figuring about 15 dressed out? The problem is, I don't know how best to cook it. I have ability to roast, grill, smoke, deep fry or pretty much anyway I wish to cook, so any recipies would be great. Also, I can brine, baste, and/or infuse as I desire. I also am fortunate enough to have fresh rosemary and juniper berries available year round. Any culinary queens or kings out there with their secret recipies you would like to share?

Here is my favorite:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mighty-duck-recipe/index.html
It is really easy and produces a great product. I never really appreciated how tasty a duck is until I made this recipe.
The only thing that I do differently is I steam the leg quarters for 25 minutes then I add the breast and steam for another 20 minutes. This gives the connective tissue in the legs and thighs time to break down while the breast stay more tender and juicy.

Last edited:
Quote:
I also saute the legs, but them place them into a crock pot for several hours to soften up. Those legs, as you have explained, can be pretty tough without extended cooking.

Take a mushroom, a strip of duck meat, and a strip of bacon. Lay the duck meat on top of the bacon then roll them both around the mushroom. Secure with a toothpick. Grill.

OK, so far so good. What I have learned is I have to separate the legs to cook longer. Are these like Turkeys like infusing, brining, etc.? Can you deep fry these guys or do they need to be roasted? I was actually thinking about grilled rotissery, but may be too big for my grill or deep fry. Also, seasonings?

My neighbor (who is a hunter) is coming over to show us how to "do the deed". After 24 in the fridge, I am making dinner for us all. Would like dinner to be a success, but is doubtful if I don't know how to cook the D@*D bird. Any suggestions welcome.

Again, I don't know if there is a difference with muscovies as opposed to commercial pekins, but I find that the meat of duck and goose has more in common with pork than with chicken and turkey. Its fattier and stronger-flavored and I found that the seasonings I use for pork were quite delicious where the chicken seasonings were overwhelmed by the more robust meat flavor.

The ones that didn't get a sourkraut stuffing were splendid as BBQ sandwiches the next day. I just picked the carcasses and mixed it with our favorite BBQ sauce.

Brining is always a good idea with most meat, especially poultry. Try the good eats recipe, or at the very least read it, it gives a good brine recipe and I think it is the best overall recipe I have tried for duck. As far as seasonings go it seems like duck pairs best with sweet seasonings, such as fruit. Give it a try, whatever recipe and let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom