Duck Recipies?-My first experience

Hey Thanks All: I'll check out the good eats definately. Any word on good eats brine?
caf.gif

This is what I found on brine specific for duck. Although I will have to cook lower and slower than the recipe as I believe this boy will be about 12+ lbs dressed out.

Brine:
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 pint pineapple orange juice
15 whole black peppercorns
1 bunch fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 (5 1/2 to 6 pound) frozen Long Island Duck, thawed
2 handfuls shredded chard
2 shallots, minced
Dash sherry or balsamic vinegar

I haven't eaten a Muscovie yet, but several people who raise Muscovies, have posted in the past, that 'scovies taste different from other ducks, and are leaner. You may want to re-post your topic with "How to cook Muscovie" in the topic title. You might get better-suited recipes that way. I got the impression that a recipe for Pekin may not work as well with 'scovie, and vice-versa.

ETA: Check out this duck recipe thread, from Frugal. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=245928 He always seems to have really good info, I always enjoy his posts. This one has a smoked muscovy, and from what he wrote, maybe they aren't so lean after all.

Last edited:
This is my fav. recipe that we found for Muscovy duck breasts I found it in a Cajun cookbook, we make duck sausage out of the rest of the duck

Breast of duck with blackberry demi-glace

Ingredients

6 duck breasts
1/2 pint fresh blackberries
1/2 cup port wine
1 tbsp cane syrup
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp minced garlic
10 black peppercorns
6 fresh basil leaves, torn
4 sprigs fresh thyme
6 fresh sage leaves, torn
1/4 cup port wine
1 tbsp minced purple shallots
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup demi glace
salt & pepper to taste
louisana hot sauce to taste

In a large mixing bowl combine duck, 1/2 cup port, syrup, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, basil, thyme, sage, salt & hot sauce. add duck and toss to coat well with marinade. let sit at room temp for at least 4 hours. in a large cast iron pan heat oil (we use olive or peanut) saute' duck breasts until light brown until internal temp gets to 140F, medium rare. Don't over cook or they will be tough. remove an keep warm.
Pour of all but one tablespoon of drippings, saute' shallots and garlic 2 minutes, add blackberries and remaining wine and reduce by half, pour in demi glace and reduce by 1/4. season with salt & pepper. to serve slice each breast and top with a generous portion of blackberry sauce

Demi glace 1 quart
2 quarts beef, veal, or game stock
1/2 cup white butter roux
1 ounce tomato sauce

divide stock into two saucepans and bring to a low boil. in one add the roux and wisk. as it thickens at tomato sauce and the other pan of stock slowly and cook down until you have a quart.

We serve with wild rice. Also, we found the port wine to be a little to sweet to our taste, we liked it better with a light blush type wine.

Nice recipe. Sounds wonderful, but I will have to wait until next summer after my spring hatch so I can have that many breasts. Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying this one.
wink.png

I just roasted a Scovy for Thanksgiving. I've found that it's best to start roasting at a higher heat, 450-475, for the first 30-45min. then bring the temp down to 350-375. That way you seal the skin & juices in so your breast meat doesn't dry out. Scovy meat is very lean only the skin giving you any fat. You will find a nice pad of fat located on the inside back cavity that you can either discard or use as a rub also. I've been using Spicy Italian dressing/marinade as a baste then sprinkling a bit of salt, pepper & chili powder all over it. Turns out really good & it's simple. You can also use the Italian dressing or another like Toasted Asian Sesame when you rotisserie a smaller duck, just basting every 15min or so. YUUUMMM! I fixed a smaller girl Scovy that way a few nights ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom