Duck recovering from animal attack— want to make sure everything looks okay!

MichaelaM

Hatching
Jul 31, 2022
Hi there! My roommates and I had a small flock of 4 khaki campbell ducks, and almost 2 weeks ago something (we think a fisher) broke into their house overnight and killed 3 of them and injured the 4th. She's doing remarkably well, but we wanted to get some opinions on how she's healing since we don't have a ton of experience! Sorry this is probably gonna be fairly long!

She had a puncture wound on her back and another at the base of the tail, and we cleaned them with diluted hibiclens and put bacitracin on them. They seemed pretty shallow and the one on her back is pretty much healed, the scab is about to come off. The other one is near her oil gland, if not *in* the gland, and we noticed after her bath tonight that the gland or something is distended.
20220731_224138.jpg

I feel like it can't be the oil gland as there are clearly feathers growing out of it, but also couldn't find a different oil gland, so I'm stumped, lol. It's not warm or red or anything.

She hasn't been using the gland, because she's been wanting to lay on her back all the time, we think there's something going on with her legs that I'll get into later, but she's very happy just laying on her back like a baby! So I don't know if the gland is maybe impacted?

She also took a good chomp to the bill, and it's looked like this since the attack, no changes, no heat, inflammation, or discharge, but we wanted to make sure it looks okay to y'all! Pardon the cat hair 😅
20220731_224153.jpg

Her legs aren't wanting to bear weight, and they weren't moving at all the first couple days, but they've improved daily and now she's trying to help support her weight when we're holding her to eat and drink (she's been hanging out and resting on her back, and every couple hours through the day we go in and hold her in sort of a standing position so she can eat and drink). We haven't been able to find any wounds, breaks, swelling, or heat there, but she has always had a bad leg that will occasionally flare up and make her limp for a bit, so at this point we're just letting her rest and they've made a lot of improvement!

The last thing I want to ask about is this thing she's doing with her head here— we think it seems like she's trying to dive down, and she does this when she's on her belly in her tote, when she's swimming, and when she's being held. She just lunges her head down and wiggles her wings. She also seems to be more buoyant on one side than the other, causing her to roll onto one side when she's in the water, and the side that sinks down is the one with her worse leg and stiffer wing, so maybe it's just that she's not paddling as much on that side?

She's eating, pooping, preening her front feathers while laying on her back, paddling her feet in the air, chattering to "the other duck" aka the mirror in her tote, and seems to be doing really well, we just want to get some more eyes on her since we're not super experienced! Thanks in advance for your help!!

Have you given her electrolytes for shock following the attack? Shock typically shows up as weakness or even paralysis in the legs. Continuing leg weakness can be treated with vitamin B complex, one tablet daily.

You might treat the strange lump on her back with hot compresses to draw out any infection, then keep the wound ointment on it in between .

It sounds like you're doing very well with her treatment. Keep up the good work.

Have you given her electrolytes for shock following the attack? Shock typically shows up as weakness or even paralysis in the legs. Continuing leg weakness can be treated with vitamin B complex, one tablet daily.

You might treat the strange lump on her back with hot compresses to draw out any infection, then keep the wound ointment on it in between .

It sounds like you're doing very well with her treatment. Keep up the good work.
Thank you so much!! Yes, we're giving her the electrolytes you get for ducklings/chicks in her drinking water along with a little ACV and l-lysine supplements. We'll look into the vitamin b for her legs, and try hot compresses on her back!

Back
Top Bottom