Duck shakes with excitement....? (Vibrating ducks)

This action, duck vibes, has multiple meanings.They do it when there happy, excited, angry, getting ready to lunge, getting ready to attack and when there scared. It depends on the situation in which it's happening and the ducks personality.

E'easter does this when she confronts a duck she doesn't like, anger, and when shes afraid. Also when shes thinks " I can hump this ". Yah no, you can't, you may try, but yah can't. Lol kinda tries to toss herself on me, weird but funny as duck poops!

My duckling vibrates when it's snuggling up to me so I'm guessing it's a happy thing

O.K....
Only the males do this in my flock. At first I thought he was choking. So is it duck purr or agitation? Our ducks are very skittish. Are they afraid or getting use to us?

I have a duck that does this and then wants snuggles. I think it is an over-excitement reaction. When she was little and got scared I would hold her close and she would nestle in tight against my neck. Now she seems to do it when she wants contact. Usually after a good bout of playing and foraging she starts to get that nap time look and comes to me for security. HOLD ME DAMMIT!

I've also seen her do it when she doesn't want the chickens to get my affections or treats. Then she usually nails a chicken. GET AWAY FROM MY HUMAN!

Either way, it usually means she needs a time out.

I am SO GLAD I found this nearly-ten-year-old thread! Willie has done this ever since he was a baby when he wants treats or pets or SOMETHING from me. It's 90% in his head and neck, and then he lunges but never bites--he just rubs the under-side of his bill on my leg or shoe. I've never seen a duck do it before and thought he just had a weird neurological thing going on. I'm glad to hear it's not an uncommon thing, because he's the only duck I have who still acts like he remembers sleeping on my lap when he was a baby.

My 2 cents: I think it's the same as the human adrenaline rush for our natural instinct to protect us back in the caveman days of "fight or flight". We get that rush when we are scared, nervous, Elated, oh and yes, Horny and even jealous.

I have witnessed my ducks And Drakes (8 count) do this in every one of these situations with me or each other.
For the question if it is to show affection..Yes! Example, when i am cuddling my duck/drake they will start with the vibrating - lunge up my arm - sometimes an immediate yawn and or stretch of the leg and wing - followed by the cuddle in.

Other Examples Vibrating Followed by lunch situations I've experienced:

-I have a rescued drake that is not used to people and i think traumatized because he lost his mate And was genuinely scared me.
-I have a female That puts up with me holding her Most of the time But then she gets irritated me And displays These actions
-I have a male that Sometimes Likes me too much, if you know what I mean!
-I have another drake that is like that school bully..And I've seen him Do it to All the rest my ducks And myself to show dominancy

# vibrating jealous lunging dominancy

Sorry to bump this thread back up again (because it is very old) but I had the same question!

Is this normal? Because my ducks do this too! At first I was scared and thought something might be wrong but now I'm not sure.

Again, sorry for bringing up an old topic, but thanks to anyone who can answer this question!
Hiya all, yeah i have this same question! Duckee, who honestly has saved my life in the short time since he/she has hatched... long story. anyways Duckee does this shakey thing and i read on some various vet sites about shakey head being a sign of some duck illnesses. All this topped off with the fact that we never raised a duck or hatched an egg(this egg being the first) and add in a dash of the frightening fact that Duckee was a "rescue", he was meant to be food, a beilute egg during a presentaion at my gf work. THe farmer then offered an egg to her and some others with the emphasis on novelty and that its very rare to have on hatch.... well lall that stuff has made me a very worried sick Duckee Guardian, both of us actually. I cant imagine the kinda stregnth (inner) that it takes to do this has a profession and totally have a new found appreciation to vets, docs and the like and also to the amazing ducks whho are super animals. any help would be greast ill keep looking too

How old is Duckee?
Can you upload some pics of this or a video of Duckee shaking his head. Head shaking doesn't necessarily mean sickness that is why videos or pics would be useful.

What are you feeding and what is your brooder set up.

:welcome

My 1 year old male Cayuga does it every time I bring out snacks. He also gives me kisses. With him it’s a happy good thing for sure.

Back
Top Bottom