Duck stopped quacking

rawrduckiee

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 3, 2014
Portland, or
I'm really not sure what happened, two days ago when I returned home I noticed one of my Cayuga ducks isn't quacking and she is making a weird noise, and acting different than she normally does. She will walk slower than her sister, wont climb into the pool right away, doesn't splash around in the pool. Just the other day both of them were chatting it up, now she can't even.
Worried mother here

Can you describe the noise she makes currently? Rhaspy? Coughing? Sneezing? The fact she is acting lethargic is the most concerning, could very well be a respiratory ailment in which case she should be put on an antibiotic asap. If you decide to try the antibiotic route, I would put her on a tetracycline solution, marketed as Duramycin at your local farm store.

Pretty much the instant you spot a significant change of behavior in your pet, it's time to go to a vet! ...Just a lil' rhyme I made up. :p

Shes making this soft raspy whisper, I have them both inside because it may be getting to cold at night which means isolating the coop ASAP, she is currently trying to chat but its still a little soft a raspy. I could treat her with the tetracycline solution, if it doesn't change by morning.

Today she is showing signs of improvement and I haven't treated her yet. She is chatting again like normal. It seems like she got a cold

Today she is showing signs of improvement and I haven't treated her yet. She is chatting again like normal. It seems like she got a cold
Ducks don't get clods they get sinus infections and respiratory infections. If you don't want to treat with antibiotics right off try putting some Apple Cider Vinegar into their drinking water, it's good for treating alot of different ailments and also a good all round tonic. 1-2 tab to 1 gallon of water. But if you don't notice a significant change for the better or she gets worse I'd get the duramycin asap. They can go down hill pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom