1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck & turkey eggs, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tweeza, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    I've noticed alot of you also have ducks, turkey and other birds. The ducks and turkeys, do they have a laying season or do they lay more like chickens? My DD is sensitive to chicken eggs but can have duck eggs (according to the tests).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mine are seasonal layers....although I have Cayugas & Muscovies. My silkys are not laying, yet...but Khaki Campbells may lay more than these others...

3. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Quote:How long is a season and how many eggs do they lay?

Thanks

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Khaki's and runners can lay all year. My Buff duck is a seasonal layer but can still lay over 200 eggs a year. I can react at times to chicken eggs if I have too many that is why I am trying the ducks. I just got them, so they are adjusting to their home and not laying yet.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    We had a pekin duck who was laying every day until the geese killed her. [​IMG] I think she would have laid eggs all year long. They were very nice, slightly smaller than my chickens were laying.

6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I have rouen ducks, they hatched in april, she started laying in Sept. and has laid an egg almost everyday since. Not sure if they have a season or not, but she sure doesn't seem like she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by