POLL- Make them stop eating eggs :D

How to make hens stop eating eggs.

• Box Shut (door closing after they lay & leave box)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • More food?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some really cool thing - (please tell me what)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Deterring them

• Other....

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Simple thing!!!

• Roll away nests

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Sequoia Raven Bird Farms

Sing the song of your soul 🎶 ✨️
Sep 8, 2023
So, I've got alot of birds, but someone's eating most of the eggs! They all lay in boxes evaluated from the ground, and were doing fine, until I ran out of Organic Mixed feed, and had to feed them (ew) Hi-Pro, but now for the past 2 weeks I made my own fermented feed with SO much protein, amino acids, nutrients, vitamins, seeds, seasonal food & more. They're very healthy again, and are very calm and happy. They've mostly stopped eating eggs, BUTTTT there's one chicken eating still!
Please tell me what's the best way to get them to stop! :D :D (pls a frinedly way)

To help them stop, slant the laying boxes a little bit down, enough so that the eggs will roll but not quickly. After they roll, then you have a little PVC pipe on it's side with the top part cut off. Make sure it's got bedding! Make an egg-height cut from the bottom outside of the nesting boxes. The eggs will roll out onto the PVC pipe whenever the chicken leaves the box. There you can collect them and they won't be able to reach them. Or, simpler, you can just buy them by searching "roll-away nesting box." They're super helpful, and I wish I could get some but my coop came pre-made and it'd take a lot of help to set it up. But this is one of the best ways to get your chickens to stop eating eggs.

To help them stop, slant the laying boxes a little bit down, enough so that the eggs will roll but not quickly. After they roll, then you have a little PVC pipe on it's side with the top part cut off. Make sure it's got bedding! Make an egg-height cut from the bottom outside of the nesting boxes. The eggs will roll out onto the PVC pipe whenever the chicken leaves the box. There you can collect them and they won't be able to reach them. Or, simpler, you can just buy them by searching "roll-away nesting box." They're super helpful, and I wish I could get some but my coop came pre-made and it'd take a lot of help to set it up. But this is one of the best ways to get your chickens to stop eating eggs.
Thank you so much!! sounds INGENIUS!! I saw it in my mind, and my ladies wondering where the heck their eggs went "Hey, wasn't there an egg in here??" Thank you Silkies for days! Beautiful hen yiu got there! (may I ask what her name is?)

I have a question @Silkies4Days, all of these designs (on google) are for outside collection/behind the nest. But my nest boxes are on a very thick(really thick) wall, and I shouldn't cut any holes in it. So I'm wondering if I should angle the floor to the front (since they're all beside each other) and then make them go under the plywood which gives the ladies a place to stand on & enter the boxes, but put the collecting places under that, and make it hidden :D. Would that work?

Thank you so much!! sounds INGENIUS!! I saw it in my mind, and my ladies wondering where the heck their eggs went "Hey, wasn't there an egg in here??" Thank you Silkies for days! Beautiful hen yiu got there! (may I ask what her name is?)
The pfp isn't mine, but it looks a lot like the one I lost. Her name was Boba. Also, no problem! It's my pleasure.

I have a question @Silkies4Days, all of these designs (on google) are for outside collection/behind the nest. But my nest boxes are on a very thick(really thick) wall, and I shouldn't cut any holes in it. So I'm wondering if I should angle the floor to the front (since they're all beside each other) and then make them go under the plywood which gives the ladies a place to stand on & enter the boxes, but put the collecting places under that, and make it hidden :D. Would that work?
What you could do is just cut the nesting boxes off and then connect the new ones to the coop. And the thing you're saying could actually work too!

Back
Top Bottom