Duck watching anyone?

ohiofarmboy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
south west ohio
I don't know about anyone else but I love to watch wild ducks that land on my pond resting from a long flight. Today I built a blind so I don't scare the ducks! I have already seen so many pretty ones that I never realized existed. Before watching my knowledge was basically limited to wild mallards and pekins. Just this year I saw beautiful greys, browns, funny bills, and what looked like miniature ducks! Does anyone else have this pastime?

When I can find a few moments, I like to check out the rivers around here. I have seen Mergansers, which are delightful, and Grebes as well as Mallards.

Once we saw a couple of wood ducks in the tree just outside the kitchen window.

We went south to the Morristown Swamp in New Jersey, and saw I don't know how many different ducks and waterfowl. I particularly remember the Pintails and Shovelers.

On the coast, we saw something I think called scoters?

The Shovelers have very wide bills, and Pintails, yes, their tails are skinny-skinny.

The saltwater birds are the ones I see least and cannot recall many names. Scaup, I think, is one.

Since having the runners, now when I see waterfowl, my heart dances. Nice side effect.

Back
Top Bottom