Duck watching anyone?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ohiofarmboy, Mar 22, 2013.

1. ohiofarmboy

ohiofarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    south west ohio
    I don't know about anyone else but I love to watch wild ducks that land on my pond resting from a long flight. Today I built a blind so I don't scare the ducks! I have already seen so many pretty ones that I never realized existed. Before watching my knowledge was basically limited to wild mallards and pekins. Just this year I saw beautiful greys, browns, funny bills, and what looked like miniature ducks! Does anyone else have this pastime?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When I can find a few moments, I like to check out the rivers around here. I have seen Mergansers, which are delightful, and Grebes as well as Mallards.

Once we saw a couple of wood ducks in the tree just outside the kitchen window.

We went south to the Morristown Swamp in New Jersey, and saw I don't know how many different ducks and waterfowl. I particularly remember the Pintails and Shovelers.

On the coast, we saw something I think called scoters?

3. ohiofarmboy

ohiofarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    south west ohio
    I have no idea the breeds I see lol I just think 'O, that ones pretty' haha

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The Shovelers have very wide bills, and Pintails, yes, their tails are skinny-skinny.

The saltwater birds are the ones I see least and cannot recall many names. Scaup, I think, is one.

Since having the runners, now when I see waterfowl, my heart dances. Nice side effect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by