Duck with broke leg and wry neck becoming stiffer/can’t use good leg anymore

brandilaine89

Hatching
Jun 1, 2022
Hey guys, I’m in Need of some medical advice. I have a rescue duck who was in horrible living conditions as well as bad health. He is about 4months old, came to me with a broke leg, wry neck, no nutrition in his diet…I’ve had him about 3 weeks and he was improving slowly but surely. He was standing on his good leg and even putting his broke leg down to the ground. His neck didn’t seem to cause him too much distress… but the past 2 days he seems to have gone downhill. He can’t use either leg/even when in Epson salt baths he has no leg movement with either leg. He hasn’t been standing, and now when he tries to eat it’s like a neck spasm ? His head lunges forward and he can’t open his mouth. We have been able to hand feed him when he is more relaxed, and he’s drinking pretty good. I know he’s uncomfortable and frustrated because he really wants to live and be independent, I know his recover is a long road, but the legs not working anymore is greatly concerning me as well as the head movements.
••He has been getting niacin, vetrx, b vitamins, selenium, electrolytes, nutridrench daily (we added vitamin e last night )
••i noticed most of the time we’ve had him that he seems warmer than the other duck we rescued with him. But I thought it was bc he always lays on the injured leg. Now I’m thinking that was an infection and it has got in his system. I bought him amoxicillin today. And some people have recommended getting poultry cell.
•• also it was recommended that I deworm him as it could be taking his nutrition.
••if I do deworm can I do it at the same time as amoxicillin ?
••either way how should I go about this and recommended dosages?
••thank you so much in advance
@cassportpony
@issaco

The dosage for amoxicillin is 57mg/lb twice a day for 7-10 days.

Is there a reason to suspect it has worms?

Do you know how much the duck is eating? It should be eating close to 0.4lbs of food a day. It may not be getting enough food.

I am going to tag @Miss Lydia because I don't see the other two on often or respond to health issues much.

I am thinking tube feeding might be the way to go to get some nourishment into him.
I have seen lately advise on using just Liquid B complex and vitamin E 400iu for treating wry neck. Liquid B complex TSC carries that would be 1ml daily. Possibly lack of nutrients from not being able to eat has caused the other leg muscles to get weak.
one nice thing about tube feeding is you can medicate along with feeding him just add it to the baby bird food before tubing.
What is being done for the broken leg?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

Last edited:
I am thinking tube feeding might be the way to go to get some nourishment into him.
I have seen lately advise on using just Liquid B complex and vitamin E 400iu for treating wry neck. Liquid B complex TSC carries that would be 1ml daily. Possibly lack of nutrients from not being able to eat has caused the other leg muscles to get weak.
one nice thing about tube feeding is you can medicate along with feeding him just add it to the baby bird food before tubing.
What is being done for the broken leg?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
I am thinking the same thing and needs tube feeding.

For wry neck:
First, separate the chick from the other ones just because other may peck it and make it worse. Then, feed the chick Vitamin E and Selenium. I recommend feeding it Vitamin E about three times a day, or as much as your chick can take. Be careful not to over dose. Here is a liquid form of Vitamin E, https://animalhealthwarehouse.com/p...84BLYtkoyStqCmOY6RIzrtGzYvcnU3HxoCrfQQAvD_BwE

you may also choose to feed it foods such as spinach, asparagus, and broccoli. After it consumes the supplements, water. And some food, you may see some progress in as little as 24 hours. Chickens can heal and survive with wry neck, but it takes lots of time and patience.

Wry neck may never fully heal, but it may get better after a few months. Continue giving it Vitamin E and Selenium, trying to give it water through a syringe may be easier. Here is a link. https://www.amazon.com/Hobbico-12cc...ocphy=9013114&hvtargid=pla-436792552301&psc=1

For food you could try purchasing liquid food for her, but make sure it is good for chicks. Just make sure to get some food and water in her daily as well as lots of medicine in proper dose.

The dosage for amoxicillin is 57mg/lb twice a day for 7-10 days.

Is there a reason to suspect it has worms?

Do you know how much the duck is eating? It should be eating close to 0.4lbs of food a day. It may not be getting enough food.

I am going to tag @Miss Lydia because I don't see the other two on often or respond to health issues much.
I suspect possible worms because he was kept in horrible conditions and one of my other rescues (last summer)couldn’t walk and I saw a worm come out of her poop in the pool. Then dewormed her and she gained lots of strength and now runs around happily…. He’s started eating food portions multiple times /day and drinking water regularly …I’m actually leaning more towards botulism now.. he has a lot of the symptoms. Including stiff neck. But he has improved a lot since I wrote the post, still can’t walk though.
••I’m looking into using colloidal silver for his eyes, they are running and one seems really odd like the eye lid doesn’t return to the eyeball if you super gentle wipe the tears.. any suggestions on how to care for that ?

Back
Top Bottom