Help please! Duck hurt can’t walk

Cdconner2018

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2023
We rescued a wild duck. He was on the side of the rd. He can’t stand and when he tries he either falls to the left or the right. Possibly was hit by a car but isn’t covered in blood. We currently have him some duck feed, water and placed a heat lamp for him. He is in a stall in our barn. I also had some left over anti inflammatory medicine from when our Muscovy hurt her leg. Any other advice? I will be looking for a vet tomorrow.
IMG_0194.jpeg

That's awesome you rescued him. Can you feel anything broken or wrong with his legs? If not, since you're already planning to go to the vet with him, which is totally sweet of you, I'd just do what you're doing. Electrolytes can help him if he's in shock. Some of your duck vitamins ie. niacin if you have any, might help him heal up too.

If it is truly a wild duck it should not need much heat at all if any. Be careful that it does not get overheated depending on where you live. All of mine are outside as low as -14 degrees F and have all faired just fine. That is great that you are helping it. I just know they can overheat and if it is used to outdoor temps then the heat may be a little much for it. Keep us updated and I hope it makes it.

That's awesome you rescued him. Can you feel anything broken or wrong with his legs? If not, since you're already planning to go to the vet with him, which is totally sweet of you, I'd just do what you're doing. Electrolytes can help him if he's in shock. Some of your duck vitamins ie. niacin if you have any, might help him heal up too.
I’ll have to look and see if I have any Electrolytes. But I did give him some niacin. The vet opens at 7:30 am so that will be my first call.

If it is truly a wild duck it should not need much heat at all if any. Be careful that it does not get overheated depending on where you live. All of mine are outside as low as -14 degrees F and have all faired just fine. That is great that you are helping it. I just know they can overheat and if it is used to outdoor temps then the heat may be a little much for it. Keep us updated and I hope it makes it.
His feet feel really cold is that normal? The light is pretty far away from him and the low tonight is 38. I’m in FL and we have a cold front coming through. Last night was 31 🥶

He should be fine then. I wasn't sure of your location. Hopefully he will make it and possibly just be in shock. Good luck with him and I pray that he makes it alright.

He should be fine then. I wasn't sure of your location. Hopefully he will make it and possibly just be in shock. Good luck with him and I pray that he makes it alright.
So it should be fine to keep the lamp on for him? Me too. I’ll keep everyone updated tomorrow.

So it should be fine to keep the lamp on for him? Me too. I’ll keep everyone updated tomorrow.
I don't know how warm the building you have him in is at this time and as long as it is not directly on top of him it will probably be alright. I just know a bird that is used to being in the elements probably would do fine without any but if it is in shock it probably does need to be kept somewhat warm. I was just afraid of it being overheated.

I don't know how warm the building you have him in is at this time and as long as it is not directly on top of him it will probably be alright. I just know a bird that is used to being in the elements probably would do fine without any but if it is in shock it probably does need to be kept somewhat warm. I was just afraid of it being overheated.
He is in a horse stall in an open air barn.

Back
Top Bottom