Duck with broken leg

Morgan282

Chirping
May 27, 2018
752D618F-E754-40BA-BDF5-2C9CFC787CF4.jpeg so, last summer I had a duck injure his leg. I bough a seat type thing which immobilized him. So he could still be outdoors with my other ducks without putting pressure on his leg and hurting it more. I also made a splint for him as well. After a few weeks I let him walk with the splint on for another week or so before taking it off. He walked fine for a while until late winter. I’ve noticed his limp keeps getting slowly worse. He’s in good spirits and doesn’t seem bothered, but he can’t keep up with my other ducks and will trip and fall occasionally. I looked at his leg and the one that wasn’t injured is straight and seems fine but the previously injured leg now looks like this (picture attached) is there anything I can do? I called the only vet in like a 50 mile radius who works with ducks and it would be 500 alone just to check and see what’s wrong.. I don’t have a whole bunch of extra money but at the same time I don’t want my duck to be in pain or die..

Attachments

• FA2EDF73-B7ED-417B-A74A-85DAAB010EDB.jpeg
    FA2EDF73-B7ED-417B-A74A-85DAAB010EDB.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 19
Beautiful colored duck. Do you have a university with a vet school in driving range ? 500 seems excessive even if they were to do xrays and such. @casportpony and @Miss Lydia do yall have any home treatment ideas ?

I thought it seemed pretty expensive as well. I’ve called and checked around, but can’t really seem to find many options. even with some of my close friends/relatives that are familiar with poultry. They all have either never needed to go to one, or recommended the one I mentioned. I’ll look into the vet schools though. Thank you!

Call the vet back and ask "how much for a non-emergency office visit and exam?" That should cost $45-$75 in the USA. Of course xrays would be more, but the just the office visit and exam should be less than $100.

Also try a Google search. Search "avian vet" or "exotic vet" and the largest city near you.

Call the vet back and ask "how much for a non-emergency office visit and exam?" That should cost $45-$75 in the USA. Of course xrays would be more, but the just the office visit and exam should be less than $100.

Also try a Google search. Search "avian vet" or "exotic vet" and the largest city near you.
I’ll do that! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom