Duck with Bumblefoot (Warning Viewer Discretion Is Advised)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DiamondSwan, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    OMG, I was just now thinking about you[​IMG] and wondering how the animals did while you were away. So sorry to hear y'all got sick. Glad you're better and home now.

2. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    How is Igor's foot doing???

3. DiamondSwan

DiamondSwan Overrun With Chickens

Sep 18, 2015
    Da Swan Pond
    UPDATE: While we were in Ohio, a large scab formed on Igor's surgery wound. The scab was very large, and it was attached to the inside of his wound and wouldn't come out. When I pushed on it, I could feel it on the other side of his foot through his skin (the bottom wound has already healed.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We called the vet and she said to soak his foot in Epsom Salt then work at it a little at a time to pull it out. We were able to get the top part off piece by piece, but it took a few days to get the inside part. When we got home, the big chunk easily came out, and more pus was revealed underneath:

[​IMG]

We got the pus that we could see out of his foot with tweezers and flushed with diluted iodine. We were very careful since we didn't have anything to numb his foot. We've been checking his foot every few days and there is more pus every single time. We're probably going to have to take him to the vet again tomorrow. His foot is looking pretty good considering, but it still feels warmer than the other. He hasn't had antibiotics for about 5 days, I think he's gonna need some more.

2 people like this.
  4. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Sounds like you are taking very good care of him. Sorry about the complications but you are diligent and I am sure you (and Igor) will prevail!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Might there be something stuck in there? A tiny sliver?[​IMG]

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Bless his heart. He was with you the whole time right? Did he get all of the antibiotics originally prescribed for him? I can't remember but did the Vet ever find anything in his foot?

7. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I was thinking the SAME THING>.

8. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    His middle toe has a lot of swelling, I bet there's more infection or something is stuck in there.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks for the update! I think you should consider writing an article on treating bumblefoot and enter it in the article writing contest.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by