1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck with Bumblefoot (Warning Viewer Discretion Is Advised)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DiamondSwan, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows his foot look today? and I love those blue feathers. growing up. [​IMG]

2. DiamondSwan

DiamondSwan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    It's still really puffy :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana
    Nothing I know of has been said about the current state of the "hole". Are you packing it with triple antibiotic ointment (no pain relief) between soakings? Is there a dressing? Or can poop and straw get back in the hole easily? I don't know about drug interactions with the triple antibiotic ointment and the oral antibiotic. @casportpony ?

4. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    The hole has a scab on it now so nothing can get in it. We do have some antibiotic ointment, but my mom said the ES is cleaning his foot just fine. Should I be using that and a bandage?
    Here's the hole:

[​IMG]

There's a yellowish tint to the swelling:

[​IMG]

5. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    He had a little family reunion today. He got to see some of his siblings. He was very excited to see them. Here he is with the beautiful Goldie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  6. kikiruru

kikiruru Overrun With Chickens

My family's home remedy for our children & animals has been (is) hydrogen peroxide or if deeper womb betadine liquid (the brownish stain stuff) 1st : pour on open womb and give lots of cuddling after than lots of triple antibiotic ointment and wrap up and give more loving :)

1 person likes this.
  7. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    Thank you, I'll try that too :)

8. kikiruru

kikiruru Overrun With Chickens

:)

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hydrogen peroxide should only be used once for initial cleaning of the wound because it can hurt new skin. But betadine or antibiotic ointment would be fine to use . you may want to pick that scab off after soaking to see if there is any draining that needs to come out and look for any cheesey stuff inside the hole that will be the pus. I'm not sure how you going to get it out though with out digging That will not be easy. . Then you can pack with ointment and wrap till next day and see if that does any good.

1 person likes this.
  10. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    Oh ok. I've been soaking his feet 2-3 times a day. Is that to much? I would have to change the bandages a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by