Duck with Bumblefoot (Warning Viewer Discretion Is Advised)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DiamondSwan, Dec 15, 2015.

1. DiamondSwan

DiamondSwan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2015
    Rescuing animals
    Ok, so we picked the scab and couldn't see much underneath. I'm using the triple antibiotic and using a bandage between soakings. I've got him on a schedule now, spoiled ducky lol. I held him down while my mom was picking at his foot. He had his neck on my shoulder the entire time and he would nibble on my hair occasionally. [​IMG]

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Sounds like he is in good hands. Must not have been too painful either. Let us know how it looks tomorrow.

3. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Rescuing animals
    K :)

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think there is more pus in there.

-Kathy

5. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Rescuing animals
    I hope not :(

6. Miss Lydia

@casportpony what do you recommend to get it out? Other than a vet in case that isn't an option here.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

If he were mine I would make the hole on the bottom of the foot larger and check for more pus. If I didn't find more pus there, I would make a hole on the top and look around.

-Kathy

8. Miss Lydia

Thanks K, this is sure not for the squeamish . So a sharp scalpel would be needed. Wouldn't there be alot of blood?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Items I would have:

Sharp, sterile scalpel
    Sterile water or saline
    Chlorhexadine or betadine
    Gauze pads
    Gauze rolls
    Vetwrap
    Antibiotics
    Stypic powder

This is probably not a task for just anyone. Anyone trying it would need to read up on wound care and look at pictures of how vets wrap this sort of wound.

-Kathy

10. DiamondSwan

Sep 18, 2015
    Rescuing animals
    Oh dear, I come back and you guys are planning a huge surgery! Ok, so if I take him to the vet, any idea how much it will cost? Because I'm probably gonna have to pay for this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by