Duck with swollen face - resistant sinus infection?

Thanks Miss Lydia & Kathy for the good responses. Sorry for the delay in updating everyone. It has been a hectic two weeks. Aren't things always crazy when these things pop up? Unfortunately we did not have a happy ending with this one. Long story short - we ended up seeking treatment from the one of the local veterinarians. Several cc's of liquid were aspirated and the Duck was treated with Baytril. It was fluid and not puss. I was very hopeful but unfortunately several days later the swelling returned larger than before, the Duck took a sudden/severe turn for the worse and was wheezing, struggling to breath and could not walk properly??!!! She was clearly suffering and we decided to cull her. Now I'm at a loss as to what the issue actually was. Thank goodness the other Ducks are still doing well and seem to be healthy.

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Lydia & Kathy for the good responses.  Sorry for the delay in updating everyone. It has been a hectic two weeks.  Aren't things always crazy when these things pop up?  Unfortunately we did not have a happy ending with this one.  Long story short - we ended up seeking treatment from the one of the local veterinarians.  Several cc's of liquid were aspirated and the Duck was treated with Baytril.  It was fluid and not puss.  I was very hopeful but unfortunately several days later the swelling returned larger than before, the Duck took a sudden/severe turn for the worse and was wheezing, struggling to breath and could not walk properly??!!!  She was clearly suffering and we decided to cull her.  Now I'm at a loss as to what the issue actually was.   Thank goodness the other Ducks are still doing well and seem to be healthy.

So sorry. A friend of mine just went through something similar and lost 10% of their young stock before the found an antibiotic that would treat the bacteria. I am no expert, but my best guess is that the infection spread like Amiga said, or that it turned into a serious pneumonia.

-Kathy

Here is the lab report from my friend. The only drugs that would treat his birds are the ones that say susceptable.

-Kathy

@crcgirl93 so very sorry you lost your duck, but you sure did all you could .
hugs.gif

Thanks so much for updating and letting us know..

Back
Top Bottom