Duck with swollen toe

0iseau

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
I’ve been having some issues with one of my duck’s foot. It started about 2 weeks ago - Mav started limping after another duck, Luna, attempted to mount her (ducks are now separated til my males stop being hormonal).
separated Mav for the night so she’d be encouraged to just rest.
after a few days limping stopped completely (would typically start at night after a day’s use but then be fine in the morning).
today Mav’s middle toe is entirely swollen. There’s a lump on the bottom of her foot where the skin seems cracked and some sort of whiteish circle
The lump isn’t hard and doesn’t seem to bother her when being touched

the ducks are in the backyard - a mix of grass and brick. We think they may be spending too much time on the brick and will be changing the fencing to get them a larger grassy area.

Any idea as to what this may be? There was never visible cuts/scrapes on the foot so I’m unsure if bumble foot.
I’ll try to get some pictures but Mav isn’t the biggest fan of being held

Can you post photos of the top and bottom of foot? Sounds like bumblefoot so far.
I took her to the vet since something in my gut just screamed something wasn't right.
Sure enough, it was bumblefoot. Strangely enough she's the only one with it, but I'll definitely be doing at least weekly foot checks as opposed to just observation when walking.
Got some antibiotics and have been experimenting with what kind of liquidy food she'll eat it in (applesauce was turned down and splattered everywhere sadly).

I took her to the vet since something in my gut just screamed something wasn't right.
Sure enough, it was bumblefoot. Strangely enough she's the only one with it, but I'll definitely be doing at least weekly foot checks as opposed to just observation when walking.
Got some antibiotics and have been experimenting with what kind of liquidy food she'll eat it in (applesauce was turned down and splattered everywhere sadly).
Glad you got some help.

You can try putting it on a tasty treat instead of in something liquidy.

Or if you up to it, here is how to administer drugs orally:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I prefer to orally administer drugs so I know they get the full dosage.

Hope she starts feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom