Duckling brooder

dishfickle

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all! Just ordered 12 female runner ducklings. The most I've ever done is 6. We have a chicken coop that we were thinking about using with a space heater with a thermostat, but then there's the scorching daytime temps. It has a18" x 36 inch opening covered hardware cloth. I don't know what to do. We've always kept them inside, but 12 is a LOT. A kiddie pool inside? How on earth do I clean it?

Hi all! Just ordered 12 female runner ducklings. The most I've ever done is 6. We have a chicken coop that we were thinking about using with a space heater with a thermostat
Space heater sounds dangerous to me. Maybe get a Brinsea heat plate or a 100 watt reptile heater in a clamp lamp.

I raised 12 Runners in a 110 gallon stock tank before. It worked rather well!
I wouldn't trust Runners to not try to jump out of a wading pool.

Hi all! Just ordered 12 female runner ducklings. The most I've ever done is 6. We have a chicken coop that we were thinking about using with a space heater with a thermostat, but then there's the scorching daytime temps. It has a18" x 36 inch opening covered hardware cloth. I don't know what to do. We've always kept them inside, but 12 is a LOT. A kiddie pool inside? How on earth do I clean it?
by the way for cleaning time i put them all in my bathroom tub with just a little little bit water , clean the brooding tank, then bring them back (i like to wrap them in towels to help dry a bit too)

Space heater sounds dangerous to me. Maybe get a Brinsea heat plate or a 100 watt reptile heater in a clamp lamp.

I raised 12 Runners in a 110 gallon stock tank before. It worked rather well!
I wouldn't trust Runners to not try to jump out of a wading pool.
Sounds promising. I get what you're saying about the heater. It's a fan thing, but it makes me nervous as well. Thanks a lot

What did you end up going with? I have a smaller scale dilemma in that I have three ducklings going on three weeks old. I want to transiton them from my upstairs bathroom tub (they are eyeballling the edge and I’m afraid they’ll jump) to the downstairs somewhere. I live in VA and while it’s not hellish here in the mountains, it’s in the 80s in summer a lot of the time. We have a “vestibule” sort of dog/mud room I thought would be perfect with this pen (pictured) but it’s hot in there even with windows open. Then I thought a large dog crate just inside in the laundry room where the temperature is regulated. Or maybe a kiddie pool with hardware cloth around it in there. I’d love any success stories or tips I can get!

Attachments

• IMG_3628.jpeg
    IMG_3628.jpeg
    783.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    768.3 KB · Views: 5
I am thinking a dog crate will be too small. I have used plastic wading pools with a lot of success - go for the bigger size if possible. I have used them with 2 foot hardware cloth around the edge the first time I did it, then after that I never used it for other groups. They figure it out and stay put for the most part - I've had them jump out if they get scared by lightening or something startles them.

Attachments

• 20230408_073556 (1).jpg
    20230408_073556 (1).jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom