Duckling by itself

Alittlebitofsunshine

In the Brooder
May 4, 2023
I have an unfortunate situation that I need some advice on how to get through for a couple of weeks. We have 4 two week old ducklings, the 5th on died after it arrived. Because the one died the hatchery sent us 2 new ducklings. Unfortunately, one died during shipping. I’m trying to figure out how best to situate the solo new duckling until it’s big enough to put in with the others. They grow so fast so I’m afraid the 2 week old ducklings will lay on her and suffocate her. Any ideas on how to keep the new one from being lonely until she’s big enough to put in with the rest? She’s in her own little brooder for now but I know it’s not ideal to have her alone. She’s close to the others so she can at least hear them. Any help is appreciated!

I have an unfortunate situation that I need some advice on how to get through for a couple of weeks. We have 4 two week old ducklings, the 5th on died after it arrived. Because the one died the hatchery sent us 2 new ducklings. Unfortunately, one died during shipping. I’m trying to figure out how best to situate the solo new duckling until it’s big enough to put in with the others. They grow so fast so I’m afraid the 2 week old ducklings will lay on her and suffocate her. Any ideas on how to keep the new one from being lonely until she’s big enough to put in with the rest? She’s in her own little brooder for now but I know it’s not ideal to have her alone. She’s close to the others so she can at least hear them. Any help is appreciated!
Can you divide the brooder so they can see each other but the bigger two can’t get to her?

That's tough. I had a situation this summer where one duckling died and the hatchery sent two replacements two weeks later. Both of those were fine in my situation, but I saw first hand the size difference and how easily it would have been for the little ones to get trampled. If you can't find another closer in age duckling at a nearby farm (try Craig's List) or feed store, your best bet is probably to configure some sort of brooder where you have a hardware cloth fence between the two groups so the little one can at least see them and feel part of things. Once she's a couple weeks old you could try them together with supervision and see how it goes.

Get her a small, stuffed animal and an unbreakable mirror, and then put a screen to divide the brooder.

i use a big tub to brood Forget what they're called it's like a horse waterer it's huge. Like the ones they have the chicks in at tractor supply only mines not metal. It's a black rubberized sort of material. Anyway, I was able to take an old window screen and use that as a divider there were space on the edges so I cut up pool noodles and made slits in them to add to the sides to wedge it in there and put it at a little angle, so it fit snug

edit to add. oh I remember it's called a stock tank.

Last edited:
@cheezenkwackers has done the separation with her ducklings who were different sizes hopefully she will post a picture.
Sure, here you go:
959B9A69-6E0D-4E33-BE88-EBA839622875.jpeg

1E5FEC07-FD5E-4981-868E-3EB905CB4839.jpeg

I used a rubber door insulator instead of a pool noodle to hold the window screen.

We just wedged some hardware cloth in to separate the big brooder. It seems to be helping. Fingers crossed!
Mine only needed to stay separated for a few days. Just make sure the little one has a place to escape when you remove the barrier. I used the brooder plate. It was too low for the larger one to get under. Within a few more days they were sleeping together.

Oh, and a mirror with the little one helps too. Makes it think it has hatchmates.

Mine only needed to stay separated for a few days. Just make sure the little one has a place to escape when you remove the barrier. I used the brooder plate. It was too low for the larger one to get under. Within a few more days they were sleeping together.

Oh, and a mirror with the little one helps too. Makes it think it has hatchmates.
How far apart in age were yours? I’m going to pick up a mirror on my way home from work today. I’m trying to figure out we’re the best placement for a mirror would be. Like seen from under the heater or out near the food and water. She seemed much better this morning. Looks like it’s helping her to see the others.

Back
Top Bottom