Duckling Cant stand up without falling down

Familybandit

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
Hello everyone! We took in a few duckeggs after our ducks layed them and our chicken started sitting on them, she gave up on the eggs around day 15, many days later one of the 5 eggs died in its last stage because he was unable to get out and we were to late to help, with this in mind we thought all the eggs where around the same age (29 days) with one not showing movement so we decided to open it up showing a small duckling not ready for hatching, weak but around 24 hours later we decided to get the duck out totally because the egg shell placement was bothering him very much, still a small unabsorbed yolk sack but for the rest a happy little duckling.

20 hours later the sack is totally absorbed but he has a lot of trouble standing for a 3 day old duckling, only now he's starting to actually use his neck, he wobbles ALOT and keeps falling down and on his back everywhere I look, he's verry persistent and goes anywhere he likes by practically rolling there and he has only drank with us putting his little beak in the water, for the rest he's doing better then yesterday but I'm raising concerns, any thoughts?
1669553026275722979142025416501.jpg

I would add a little sugar to the water you give him (change it frequently). Save-A-Chick electrolytes wouldn't hurt either. You might also try confining him in a small bow, large cup, or a ring cut off of pvc pipe so he has to use his legs to stand and can't fall over. It will take a few days for him to gain strength. I did something similar thinking an egg was dead. Mine wasn't quite as early as yours but he couldn't walk for the first day. He grew up to be a big beautiful drake. Hope your little cutie does well!

Hatch-assisted ducklings tend to take longer to 'find their legs' and stabilize compared to those that naturally hatch out. Perhaps it's because their legs never get the workout of pushing against that shell as they try to escape the egg?

Either way, give it time. Electrolytes, and possibly vitamin B complex (Durvet) found at TSC. Keep him warm, add water to the crumble (you're feeding duckling crumble?) to make it easier to swallow.

Thanks for all the replies! I mixed some crumble with water, he just took his first bite... He stands okay but the moment where he tries to walk its like he's rolling down a mountain.. B12, niacin, save-a-chick electrolytes and sugar water... Thanks everyone! I'll put some desolved sugar in his water now and I'll go buy some vitamins, I'll keep you all posted! Thanks allot everyone! 😊

Thanks for all the replies! I mixed some crumble with water, he just took his first bite... He stands okay but the moment where he tries to walk its like he's rolling down a mountain.. B12, niacin, save-a-chick electrolytes and sugar water... Thanks everyone! I'll put some desolved sugar in his water now and I'll go buy some vitamins, I'll keep you all posted! Thanks allot everyone! 😊
Instead of save a chick electrolytes and sugar, its safer to use pedialyte from a pharmacy. Comes in sachets like save a chick electrolytes or in cartons already made up. It has the correct dose of glucose

Back
Top Bottom