Duckling Colour

Nighthawk78

Chirping
Sep 1, 2018
Australia
Hi all,
So we just hatched four Muscovy ducklings, and I'm curious as to what colour they will be.
Duckling #1 is a yellow, which I'm assuming will be white.
Duckling #2 is yellow with a dusty brown head (one of their mothers was that colour as a duckling and she grew up to be white with a grey head)
Duckling #3 is a dirty yellow back, yellow chest and a dark grey head, (once again, a previous duckling of similar duckling grew up to be black with white chest)
Duckling #4 has me stumped. It is yellow, with a white patch on its right wing and its head. It's the youngest of them by a few hours, and was actually knocked out of it's egg by it's older sibling. I'm not particularly worried about it, I'm just curious as to what colour it may grow up to be. Will it be all white, or white and patched?
I've included a photo of Duckling 4, unfortunately it won't let me upload the others :/
20181027_164153[1].jpg

I had a yellow duckling that I was told would be white, he’s definitely not white lol
0F2E1418-FEE4-4E91-8255-9D2CF608BA68.jpeg
DA7ED1DC-AA39-4D8D-87F2-4BA34FA84641.jpeg

^^ my yellow ling
09A47867-2DAD-4B2C-981E-72ECD6269917.jpeg

These are the others in the box. The Barred one was the yellow with a dark back.,

As for your mystery one. Keep us updated! It has a cool down color. Maybe a pied buff?

Last edited:
Will definitely keep you updated! It would be cool if we got a different colour. Our current ducks are mostly pale colours. The drake is a white, and their three mums are white with a grey head, a white with brown patches, and a dark grey and white patched, while their parents' cousin (not sure what that makes her to the ducklings lol), is a black with a white speckled chest. She's actually an interesting colour, considering her father was white, and her mother was white with a light grey head. Then again, our other adults are out of a pair of white ducks, so who knows? :confused:
Hopefully it will let me attach some more photos this time :)

Blackie, the ducklings' parents' cousin? (She had been getting a lot of unwanted attention from both the other females and the drake at the time of the picture, normally she has a full black head)
20181013_191835.jpg

Little Bird, our too-friendly and energetic drake who likes to sit on the back door step and poo everywhere (he wouldn't sit still for a photo). He has recently developed a habit of pacing in their house in the mornings until they are let out - unfortunately that means trampling poor mumma duck and her nest.
20181013_191830.jpg

Lightweight (we didn't know what it meant until after naming her lol) one of the mumma's and Little Bird's youngest sister. Also the duck who incubated my four up until they started to hatch, when they had to be removed because the drake was squashing them.
20181013_191913.jpg

Tux, Lightweight & Little Bird's sister, a very dedicated mumma who sat for two months straight, but sadly did not hatch any ducklings of her own.
20181013_191923.jpg

Grover, also sibling to the three above, still currently brooding, although I'm fairly certain none of her numerous eggs are alive and possibly never were.
20181016_163033.jpg

And now for the ducklings! :)

Ducklings 3 & 2 (technically 1 & 2 cuz they are the oldest) - Smokey (left) and Misty (right) at a few hours old
20181025_194741.jpg

Duckling 1 (technically Duckling 3) Foggy, curiously trying to attack my camera
20181027_004625.jpg

From left to right - Misty, Foggy, Smokey & Cloudy at two days old today.
20181027_212749.jpg

And their younger sibling, who their mumma Lightweight just hatched last night - Flint
20181027_201033.jpg

They did have a sixth sibling who hatched a few hours after Cloudy and Foggy, but unfortunately little Stormy didn't make it through the night. Neither did Flint's sibling, Lester, who died this afternoon before he fully hatched. :hit

Our ducks have a habit of squashing their young. I think, in this case, it was the drake's fault, but we had a duck in the past who hatched a duckling then simply squashed it to death. We removed the five ducklings that started to hatch from the nest, because we were afraid they were going to get killed, but out of sympathy for the duck we left her two, out of which one survived.

Anyway, I'll keep the thread updated on their progress, and hopefully post some more pics of them over time :)

It’s always best or has been for me to give broody Muscovys their own space away from the rest of the ducks till hatch and at least 2-3 weeks old that keeps them from being stepped on while hatching and afterwards, some drakes will kill newly hatched ducklings also. I make their stall where everyone can see each other but mama broody is safe and when duckling hatch they are safe till old enough to stay out of adults way.

It’s always best or has been for me to give broody Muscovys their own space away from the rest of the ducks till hatch and at least 2-3 weeks old that keeps them from being stepped on while hatching and afterwards, some drakes will kill newly hatched ducklings also. I make their stall where everyone can see each other but mama broody is safe and when duckling hatch they are safe till old enough to stay out of adults way.
Yeah, I prefer that too, unfortunately our ducks have a history of not appreciating their nest being rearranged, so once they started sitting I didn't want to mess with it

True thankfully mine usually find a spot inside their house that’s easy to close off. I’ve taken care of all the outside places after having a few get into areas I couldn’t

Back
Top Bottom