Duckling Hatching at Wrong end

Pics

Amret1989

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Hello,
I am new here and new to hatching chicks/ducks. I just recently hatched 7 of my 10 chick eggs (3 stopped developing sometime so threw them out on day 18) and 1 of my 2 duck eggs. Well, my last little duck egg has pipped at the wrong end. It pipped a day ago. I read that if they do the internal/external pip at the same time, it will take longer to hatch. I’ve been reading many posts on here for more information pertaining to my specific hatch as well. We are at day 3 and baby is chirping and breathing fine it seems. I did start to chip away at the shell, then stopped because I saw a blood tinge, it wasn’t full on bleeding, but everything I’ve read says to leave it be if that is the case. The membrane has been moistened with pain free neosporin. I can see tiny little red veins in the membrane , so I am assuming that it is not done with the absorbing process. My temp is at 99.5 and my humidity is at about 73-74. It had a horribly huge air cell, I read some people call it ‘saddled’. The eggs were shipped from AL to N.C., which I also heard could be a cause of this air cell dilemma. So, in theory, I think my chick got stuck at the narrow end and I read about this happening, but didn’t think it would happen... but here we are. Now I am seeking advice on when to assist more or if I should just leave it alone for another day. I don’t want anything to happen to it, but I can’t help to think it’s screaming out ‘help me’ with those teeny squeaks. Any advice is appreciated, as well as constrict criticism. 😊 Thank you! (The second pic below was before I applied the neosporin, it’s much more moist now.)(the other pic is a depiction of the air cell)

Attachments

• 86D0BD9F-0E88-4219-A08D-B631BBABC7E2.jpeg
    86D0BD9F-0E88-4219-A08D-B631BBABC7E2.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 3B611DBF-4C8D-4BCD-9A7C-9C186963BC5E.jpeg
    3B611DBF-4C8D-4BCD-9A7C-9C186963BC5E.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
If there are still veins you'll want to leave her be while until most of them start to dry up, then you will be able to slowly start chipping off more of the shell so she can get out. I know how nerve-wracking it can be, but if she is getting a good supply of oxygen there is no need to hurry up and yank her out of the shell, she can breathe and has plenty of food/water in her system.
You are doing a great job! Just make sure that the membrane doesn't dry out.

If there are still veins you'll want to leave her be while until most of them start to dry up, then you will be able to slowly start chipping off more of the shell so she can get out. I know how nerve-wracking it can be, but if she is getting a good supply of oxygen there is no need to hurry up and yank her out of the shell, she can breathe and has plenty of food/water in her system.
You are doing a great job! Just make sure that the membrane doesn't dry out.
Yes, there are still veins. So I’ve left baby alone. I just realized my post said ‘day 3’ 😂 Def supposed to say 30, but I’m sure you got that part. I keep reapplying moisture to the membrane every couple hours or so, when I see it has started getting a bit dry. Baby is still chirping and making movements, so I haven’t been too concerned other than the fact it may indeed be stuck... but we shall deal with that at a later time. Also, Will the veins completely shrink up and not be red anymore when it’s done absorbing? Or will they just be super thin? Thank you for responding!!! I will keep you posted on the progress.

Yes, there are still veins. So I’ve left baby alone. I just realized my post said ‘day 3’ 😂 Def supposed to say 30, but I’m sure you got that part. I keep reapplying moisture to the membrane every couple hours or so, when I see it has started getting a bit dry. Baby is still chirping and making movements, so I haven’t been too concerned other than the fact it may indeed be stuck... but we shall deal with that at a later time. Also, Will the veins completely shrink up and not be red anymore when it’s done absorbing? Or will they just be super thin? Thank you for responding!!! I will keep you posted on the progress.

You are using Neosporin without pain relief, right? The veins will usually look very thin, they don't completely dry up until a few hours after the chicks have hatched.

You are using Neosporin without pain relief, right? The veins will usually look very thin, they don't completely dry up until a few hours after the chicks have hatched.
Yes, Sorry, I meant without pain relief, not pain free neosporin. Sounds kind of silly. I didn’t know they didn’t completely dry out until a few hours after. This is a whole new learning curve for me... & a great science lesson for my kids since they’re now ‘home schooled’.

I literally check on baby every 30 mins. As long as it has an air supply, it can’t suffocate by shrink wrapping, right? I never realized the amount of things that could go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom