Duckling in distress?

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
Duckling pipped externally over 24 hours ago, then yesterday evening he pipped next to the first pip, and over night he broke through thoroughly creating one large hole, now I can see his beak.
This morning he hasnt made a lot of progress, but for the last few hours while checking on him often I have seen him breathing(?) chewing, peeping and yawning. So, understanding that the yolk is still being absorbed, I have waited these past few hours. He is still moving and pecking out through the hole slightly, not zipping further (if the second pip yesterday was the start of zipping). He's peeping much more now, fairly loudly and I'm concerned he may be stuck and in distress.
BUT, I am pretty sure he is still yawning and absorbing the yolk. Should I be worried?

This is my first successful hatching, and first time incubating duck eggs.
This egg is on day 29, he internally pipped day 27 and externally pipped on the very start of day 28.
It is an Aylesbruy, and suspected, pekin mix.
I have one other egg due to hatch in a couple days.

Humidity is between 65-70% and temperature is 37.5C in a fan incubator.

Duckling pipped externally over 24 hours ago, then yesterday evening he pipped next to the first pip, and over night he broke through thoroughly creating one large hole, now I can see his beak.
This morning he hasnt made a lot of progress, but for the last few hours while checking on him often I have seen him breathing(?) chewing, peeping and yawning. So, understanding that the yolk is still being absorbed, I have waited these past few hours. He is still moving and pecking out through the hole slightly, not zipping further (if the second pip yesterday was the start of zipping). He's peeping much more now, fairly loudly and I'm concerned he may be stuck and in distress.
BUT, I am pretty sure he is still yawning and absorbing the yolk. Should I be worried?

This is my first successful hatching, and first time incubating duck eggs.
This egg is on day 29, he internally pipped day 27 and externally pipped on the very start of day 28.
It is an Aylesbruy, and suspected, pekin mix.
I have one other egg due to hatch in a couple days.

Humidity is between 65-70% and temperature is 37.5C in a fan incubator.
@Miss Lydia @DucksAreBest
any thoughts? I'm trying not to worry since hes been yawning, but he does sound pretty frantic when he has bursts of peeping. Should he be out today and should I assist if he stops yawning and seems stuck? Is there anything I can do to keep him calm and/or encouraged?

I'm sorry no one has replied. It sounds like he is doing everything pretty normal. They sure take their sweet time and cause us to panic.
I'd be afraid to tell you to start assisting as long as your seeing yawning.
have you read this?https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
I'll tag some experts on hatching
@HollowOfWisps
@WVduckchick
@shawluvsbirds
I hatch the easy way and let my ducks do all the work so I
am not good at advise on bator hatching. In the meantime can you post some pictures of what the pips are looking like now? since the duckling is able to breathe that is a good thing. Are you talking to it. I've even read where is you look up ducklings talking online and play that it helps them get motivated to continue also. How does the membrane look?

I'm sorry no one has replied. It sounds like he is doing everything pretty normal. They sure take their sweet time and cause us to panic.
I'd be afraid to tell you to start assisting as long as your seeing yawning.
have you read this?https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
I'll tag some experts on hatching
@HollowOfWisps
@WVduckchick
@shawluvsbirds
I hatch the easy way and let my ducks do all the work so I
am not good at advise on bator hatching. In the meantime can you post some pictures of what the pips are looking like now? since the duckling is able to breathe that is a good thing. Are you talking to it. I've even read where is you look up ducklings talking online and play that it helps them get motivated to continue also. How does the membrane look?
The membrane is pretty white and looks normal as far as I know, he's managed to pip through it okay and the humidity has stayed up, so I think that's all fine. I'll try playing some peeping sounds!
I can't really get a clear photo through the incubator as the plastic is a little obscure, but I'll try and get one.
I check on him every hour, or more frequent for a few minutes I sit and talk to him and he peeps back pretty strongly. I just spent a few minutes watching and he's definitely still doing little yawns every few minutes, so I of course won't do anything yet- but I have been reading the assisted hatching article and a few other threads just to be prepared and know what to look for. I assisted a hatch once before but it turned into an eggtopsy as unfortunately the chick had died shortly before help arrived. Maybe that's contributing to my worries!
They really are slow hatchers aren't they! I'd heard of them taking days and thought I was prepared for the wait but this is very anxiety inducing :lol:

Christmas duckling how precious. Look forward to seeing it. And yes it is worrisome when we lose some during hatch because we waited to help or other reasons beyond our control. Since @WVduckchick thinks all is well I think we can relax. I say we because I always feel like support during these where others are the coaches. :)

Christmas duckling how precious. Look forward to seeing it. And yes it is worrisome when we lose some during hatch because we waited to help or other reasons beyond our control. Since @WVduckchick thinks all is well I think we can relax. I say we because I always feel like support during these where others are the coaches. :)
You are fantastic support! :love

Thank you! Yes it was pretty touch, that chick was late and I wasnt sure whether to help or not, but sadly she never even internally pipped! That batch of eggs was badly shipped though, she was the only one that even made it to lockdown. So I don't think there was that much I could've done.
Imagine if he waits until tomorrow to pop out! Gosh, I've been thinking so much about the eggs hatching I forgot all about Christmas 🤣

Multiple pips are a good sign. Sounds like it is progressing normally. I know it feels like a forever wait, but ducks are so slow. I wouldn’t panic until it’s closer to 40-48 hours.
Good luck, Christmas duckling!
thanks for the reassurance! He's chirping away strongly right now, not yawning for a while, just a little bit of chewing. He seems pretty eager to zip! I'm hopeful :fl

I think the only potential problem is your humidity is fairly high which can delay the yolk absorption process. Too much humidity is going to keep that egg overly sticky and wet inside. However, as long as his head is out and he has air he should be fine as it perfectly normal for a duckling to take a full 48 hours for a duckling to completely unzip.

Back
Top Bottom