Duckling in distress?

I think the only potential problem is your humidity is fairly high which can delay the yolk absorption process. Too much humidity is going to keep that egg overly sticky and wet inside. However, as long as his head is out and he has air he should be fine as it perfectly normal for a duckling to take a full 48 hours for a duckling to completely unzip.
That makes sense! Should I reduce the humidity a little?

Duckling pipped externally over 24 hours ago, then yesterday evening he pipped next to the first pip, and over night he broke through thoroughly creating one large hole, now I can see his beak.
This morning he hasnt made a lot of progress, but for the last few hours while checking on him often I have seen him breathing(?) chewing, peeping and yawning. So, understanding that the yolk is still being absorbed, I have waited these past few hours. He is still moving and pecking out through the hole slightly, not zipping further (if the second pip yesterday was the start of zipping). He's peeping much more now, fairly loudly and I'm concerned he may be stuck and in distress.
BUT, I am pretty sure he is still yawning and absorbing the yolk. Should I be worried?

This is my first successful hatching, and first time incubating duck eggs.
This egg is on day 29, he internally pipped day 27 and externally pipped on the very start of day 28.
It is an Aylesbruy, and suspected, pekin mix.
I have one other egg due to hatch in a couple days.

Humidity is between 65-70% and temperature is 37.5C in a fan incubator.
update, duckling hasn't made much progress over night, still peeping and active but not completing the zip yet.
By this evening it'll be 48 hours since the second pip, and 24 hours since any progress (unless he progresses in the next few hours). At what point should I assist? I'm not interfering yet, though I haven't seen any more yawning since early this morning, he isnt chewing as he was, but occasionally seems to chatter his beak for a short amount of time. Is all this normal?

Also, merry Christmas everyone!

Can you post a picture?

Merry Christmas!
This is the clearest I can get, most of what you are seeing is broken shell and yellow feathers poking out (most of which have dried and fluffed up). The zip starts around the bottom left and finishes halfway up the right side. His beak is currently on the right about halfway up the egg, and pokes out usually

Attachments

• IMG-20211225-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20211225-WA0017.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 18
This is the clearest I can get, most of what you are seeing is broken shell and yellow feathers poking out (most of which have dried and fluffed up). The zip starts around the bottom left and finishes halfway up the right side. His beak is currently on the right about halfway up the egg, and pokes out usually
The duckling did all that on its own?
If so, you are safe to finish breaking off the air cell end of the egg, just be sure to let it do the final push from the bottom of the egg. Don’t pull it out.

The duckling did all that on its own?
If so, you are safe to finish breaking off the air cell end of the egg, just be sure to let it do the final push from the bottom of the egg. Don’t pull it out.
are sure it'll be safe? Still a little worried he has yoke left, but he definitely hasnt been yawning like he was yesterday. Is it normal for them to chatter their beak slightly? He's done that a couple times, not sure if it was chewing or something else

Back
Top Bottom