Duckling Leg Injury DIAGNOSIS: Slipped Tendons

I hope as she heals she starts perking up. Is she taking an antibiotic too?
many when they have to wash their ducks because of wet feather use a blow dryer on low heat to dry their ducks. So no reason not to use one on Rosie. She'll probably enjoy the spa treatment.
Did you find out if you can put her in her sling chair?

Last edited:
I hope as she heals she starts perking up. Is she taking an antibiotic too?
many when they have to wash their ducks because of wet feather use a blow dryer on low heat to dry their ducks. So no reason not to use one on Rosie. She'll probably enjoy the spa treatment.
Did you find out if you can put her in her sling chair?
Yes. She's on Trimethoprim (0.7 mL 1x/day) and Meloxicam (0.3 mL 2x/day). We are going to dry the hair dryer today. We've moved to puppy pads under shavings, and that seems to be keeping things much drier.

We're still unclear on the sling chair. Here's a picture from this morning. Ella stays very close!

Ella Rosie 6 August 2022.jpeg

They sure are precious. I forgot to ask will Rosie have therapy after the bandages come off?
I suspect the answer is yes. My understanding is that even if the surgery is successful, there is a good chance the tendon could slip again. Once the bones are not growing so quickly, however, it may be easier to deal with through therapy.

@3bird - I'am reading every of your posts, hoping all the best for Rosie! 🤞🏻

I am just unable to send out more support messages to you, cause first i never had a duckling or duck with a slipped tendon and second i bit a little more off than i can chew, having nine two week old rascals, three house-guests and a crazy duck momma with another three little babies. On top of that there will be another three ducklings arriving here next week (replacement for the little snuggle-duck who didn't made it plus buddies...)
Well the house-guests leave tomorrow, but also my week of vacation time ends…

It is just awesome what you are willing to do for little Rosie!
Please keep us updated! ❤

Rosie seemed more "with it" yesterday morning, which was good to see. Our routine is that we check on her around 5am when we get up and then we handle all the chores and bring her (and Ella) outside around 9am. Rosie sits on Karen's lap for an hour or so, while we do her meds and Karen encourages her to eat and drink. We then wash her up and weigh her, and she goes into her outdoor crate for the duration of the day. In the late afternoon, we bring her out again for eating and drinking (in Karen's lap) and then we do all the chores and finally do her meds and clean things up around 6pm before bringing her in to her nighttime crate indoors.

We're wondering about getting a slightly larger crate, as it seems like she is getting stuck in weird position sometimes and then can't access her water. With the splinted leg, she can really only turn in one direction, and once she gets turned away from her water, it's hard for her to get back on her own. Any thoughts? We also hate that she is sitting in her poop all night. Even with puppy pads and shavings, there is still usually a mound of flattened poop under her in the am. Any ideas on addressing this?

Karen Rosie 6 August 2022.jpeg

Having a larger crate would probably help her move around easier unless you put water and feed at both ends but a larger crate might be better. I am not sure what you can do about her laying in her poop overnight except bathe her. I mean mine who haven't any problems lay in their poop over night it's just the way ducks are. Then they come out in the morning bathe and are good to go. Then I go in and clean every day. How's she doing with the blow dryer?

Having a larger crate would probably help her move around easier unless you put water and feed at both ends but a larger crate might be better. I am not sure what you can do about her laying in her poop overnight except bathe her. I mean mine who haven't any problems lay in their poop over night it's just the way ducks are. Then they come out in the morning bathe and are good to go. Then I go in and clean every day. How's she doing with the blow dryer?
For the past two nights we have put Rosie in the smaller kiddie pool they used to use for their brooder. Ella is right next to her in the larger one. It's worked really well, and she seems to like it much better!

Back
Top Bottom