duckling neck wound care.

johari

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
So, I feel terrible. I took the ducklings outside today for a fieldtrip since it's really nice and warm out. My older ducks are in love with them and are both mothering them. But my dominant hen attacked one of them. I was right there too, I just looked away for a minute.

Anyway, it's not a really bad wound, and it didn't even really bleed. But I'd like some tips on how to care for it.

It looks really bad though...

Matilda being very motherly... before the accident.

Babies are in their brooder again now.

@johari

I think some warmish water with Epsom Salts is the way to go. You're going to want that healed up quickly so that bugs don't get into it. Maybe some Neosporin without pain relief, Altho personally, I would not use that unless I needed to. And that also means that you're going to need to keep the little ones separate from the adults until they are much larger, bcz that is very likely to happen again. Fill up your sink, add the ESalts, 1-2Tablespoons per gal. Swish it about to dissolve, put d'ling in, and my bet is that d'ling will take to that, well, like a duck to water ;) let the d'ling splash splash for 20 mins or so. In fact, you might want to bring along 2 ducklings. If its still cold where you are, make sure that your ducklings are fully dry before they go back to the brooder.

And fwiw, I see your pic shows that you keep your kitchen utensils near your sink. Not trying to tell you what to do, but I'd remove all that stuff from that area straight away *before* the duckling's feet touch the water. I also think that after the bath/ESalt Soak is over, a wipe down of all surfaces with a Clorox + water solution would be prudent.
HTH

@johari

I think some warmish water with Epsom Salts is the way to go. You're going to want that healed up quickly so that bugs don't get into it. Maybe some Neosporin without pain relief, Altho personally, I would not use that unless I needed to. And that also means that you're going to need to keep the little ones separate from the adults until they are much larger, bcz that is very likely to happen again. Fill up your sink, add the ESalts, 1-2Tablespoons per gal. Swish it about to dissolve, put d'ling in, and my bet is that d'ling will take to that, well, like a duck to water ;) let the d'ling splash splash for 20 mins or so. In fact, you might want to bring along 2 ducklings. If its still cold where you are, make sure that your ducklings are fully dry before they go back to the brooder.

And fwiw, I see your pic shows that you keep your kitchen utensils near your sink. Not trying to tell you what to do, but I'd remove all that stuff from that area straight away *before* the duckling's feet touch the water. I also think that after the bath/ESalt Soak is over, a wipe down of all surfaces with a Clorox + water solution would be prudent.
HTH

I did rinse it out with warm water. I'll pick up some salts later today. I only have two ducklings, so they're always together.

Duckies don't play in my kitchen sink, they're big enough now that they can jump right out if they want. They only play in the tub. :)

Last edited:
I did rinse it out with warm water. I'll pick up some salts later today. I only have two ducklings, so they're always together.

Duckies don't play in my kitchen sink, they're big enough now that they can jump right out if they want. They only play in the tub.
smile.png
FYI Epsom salts is also a laxative so don't let your duckling drink this water, it maybe best to rinse the wound with out letting the ducklings be able to get it's face in the ES water.

I checked the wounds several times today and they seem to be healing nicely.

Good news, it's amazing how quickly they can heal up. 

I'm so relieved. Though they're back outside today. My older duck Matilda was frantically looking for them all day yesterday. She's been keeping them well protected now.

Back
Top Bottom