Duckling Vomiting White/Milky Liquid

chowyungfatso

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
One of our ducklings (now 10 days old) is vomiting white/milky liquid. It's not a lot, but less than a half teaspoon. Is this something to be concerned about?

They are generally on starter duckling feed, have the occasional lettuce, and had some peas the other day. All with plenty of water. One did grab and eat a little bit of newspaper before we could stop it, but we can't tell if that's the one that's tossing up the liquid.

What is it doing when it vomits? Is it sitting - standing- at the food or water- or were you picking it up at the time or holding it??

How often? Every once in a while is no big deal--just takes their systems a while to get adjusted--like a human infant spitting up. Some do it more than others.

But if it's often and a large quantity, then you might have an issue. But I'm not sure there's much you can do but keep an eye on it and make sure the baby has a healthy diet & maybe some supplementary vitamins. Access to plentiful deep water is important too--must be able to submerge her entire bill so she can clear her nostrils. If her nostrils aren't clearing, it could cause vomiting.

Best of luck!

Are they getting food before grit? Mash is okay, it just dissolves, but lettuce or newspaper (however unintentional) without something to chew it could gum up the works. So, have you been giving grit?

Been watching them the last couple of days and it appears that it happens only once a day, if at all. Since day 1, they have been eating mash (unwatered, with plenty of water at the other end of the brooder in the form of a covered bowl--I carefully trimmed the cover of the take-out soup container and they seem to be happy being able to dip their bills in). It seems like it may be coming from their eating some lettuce every once in a while (I give them a little bit of lettuce maybe once a day) and, even more infrequently, them accidentally ingesting the newspaper that line their brooder, as I haven't given them grit. Maybe that's the reason? What can I give them for grit or maybe I can just stop feeding them lettuce?

Yup, sounds like the lettuce and newspapers are the culprit. You can stop giving them lettuce if you like, but it's a nice healthy, yummy treat for them. You can pick up "chick grit" at most feed stores and offer it to them in a dish.

I think you can also use coarse sand, but please don't do that unless someone else gives you the go-ahead--because I'm really not sure. Sorry! And good luck.
smile.png

It is good to begin giving them just a tiny bit of grit, because they will need it! And lettuce is so good for them!

Chick grit can be found at a feed store - I just bought a couple of pounds and lightly sprinkled a teaspoon or two on top of their crumbles that I served in a six inch chick feeder.

It's winter, and the ground is frozen solid. I sprinkle a few tablespoons of grit in with my adults' feed once a day, and they get free choice oyster shell as well, which works as a grit. In the summer I don't add grit because they are constantly eating pebbles and sand and dirt.

Somewhere on here is a photo I took of what chick grit looks like, if you would like to see some.

Okay. Will order some today. No one's mentioned what happens (what symptoms occur) when they are stopped up. Do they stop eating?

Also, I noticed poo from the same duckling having milky appearance starting last night, although there were some solids in one of the poo. I know it can change consistency and appearance, but the other duckling (the female) has normal poo.

There are a variety of symptoms - lethargy, not eating, just failing to thrive.

If the droppings smell normal, that is probably okay - but it's tough to know, just from descriptions, of course.

If the duck is running around, otherwise behaving normally, you are probably okay. Just remember some grit, and keep the fresh water available. I like the vitamin idea, too.

My 7 day-old Welsh Harlequin is doing the same thing... doesn't seem to be affecting her much... she still follows after my dog relentlessly. :)

Back
Top Bottom