Duckling with chicks?

csadams

Hatching
May 7, 2021
This is my first time incubating eggs, and I made the mistake of accepting both duckling and chick eggs at the same time. Four chicks hatched 1 week ago. One lonely duckling is currently trying to hatch (and I think it pipped in the wrong spot unfortunately). If it hatches successfully, after 24 hours drying off in the incubator, can I introduce the duckling to a brooder with four 1 week old chicks? Or, should it be kept alone in a separate brooder? How long do I need to wait before bringing the duckling back to the farm? Will it be able to survive without its mother teaching it?

Attachments

• IMG_4759.jpg
    IMG_4759.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5225.jpg
    IMG_5225.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 8
This is my first time incubating eggs, and I made the mistake of accepting both duckling and chick eggs at the same time. Four chicks hatched 1 week ago. One lonely duckling is currently trying to hatch (and I think it pipped in the wrong spot unfortunately). If it hatches successfully, after 24 hours drying off in the incubator, can I introduce the duckling to a brooder with four 1 week old chicks? Or, should it be kept alone in a separate brooder? How long do I need to wait before bringing the duckling back to the farm? Will it be able to survive without its mother teaching it?
A duckling will be able to survive without a mother.. Although it will be very lonely since they are social animals. I would try to find him a similar age companion and in the mean time a plushie and an (unbreakable) mirror to look into.

Personally I wouldn't add chicks and ducklings together because chicks can't swim and ducklings need water and are very messy.

A duckling will be able to survive without a mother.. Although it will be very lonely since they are social animals. I would try to find him a similar age companion and in the mean time a plushie and an (unbreakable) mirror to look into.

Personally I wouldn't add chicks and ducklings together because chicks can't swim and ducklings need water and are very messy.
By the way, Welcome to BYC! And if you like you could put them together for the first couple of days so they keep eachother company and stay warm...

Back
Top Bottom