Duckling with foot problems

In the pic the legs look pretty normal and like Orca says some ducklings do have slightly turned in feet, some of my female muscovy's do look like they will step on their own foot when walking but they don't. But I would keep up with the niacin till they are 10-12 weeks old or brewers yeast which ever your using. That is an adorable duckling by the way.

Ok have stopped worrying now! Apart from one thing my carpet has one sticky up bit that is about 1 inch long and when they are pulling on that they kinda lie down. Is that normal?

Thanks

Ok have stopped worrying now! Apart from one thing my carpet has one sticky up bit that is about 1 inch long and when they are pulling on that they kinda lie down. Is that normal?

Thanks

If they are pulling on something that's most likely why they are laying down if this is the only time they are doing it.

Sometimes they will randomly lie down then get up again quickly and be normal I will check for slipped tendons so I am looking for flat hocks and the tendon will not be along the back of the leg? Is there any other symptom I have missed?

Sometimes they will randomly lie down then get up again quickly and be normal I will check for slipped tendons so I am looking for flat hocks and the tendon will not be along the back of the leg? Is there any other symptom I have missed?
I've never had to deal with slipped tendon but Poultry Pedia has some great info on leg problems.Are you giving them Brewers yeast or niacin? I think what your seeing is perfectly normal they go at top speed then rest a bit before starting again just like a toddler would do.

Last edited:

That's it! Just keep an eye on those things, but they really do sound pretty normal to me. Young ducklings do lie down and rest alot. Just when they do it pretty much all the time and maybe only take a few steps and lie down again is when it could be a problem. If they're getting up and running around normally I think you're ok. ;)

Back
Top Bottom