Duckling with leg/foot abnormalities

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SaeruhMariee, Jul 6, 2017.

1. SaeruhMariee

SaeruhMariee Chirping

May 27, 2017
    He's got a little makeshift sling from a Chinese soup to-go container and a ripped up shirt. I'll put the epsom salt in it below him where he can't reach it but his feet with be in it. Don't need or want more poop than I already have haha

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Ain't that the truth, Just make sure water is nice and warm so he doesn't chill. Sure hope it helps.

We need some pics badly. lol

3. GSDperson

GSDperson Chirping

Jun 1, 2017
    Washington State
    Also do a teaspoon of Epsom salt in the mug. (Did you figure that out already?)

Ravynscroft likes this.
  4. SaeruhMariee

SaeruhMariee Chirping

May 27, 2017
    Pics coming soon, I promise! Been super busy with everything lately. Just started a new job on top of rescuing these guys.

After doing some more reading I'm realizing that this little guy has slipped tendons. The splay legged part seems to be coming together even without the straw-rubberband combo that I couldn't get on. So now everyone is eating, then getting some swim time in the bath tub, and once clean and dry, I'm putting on "splints" or some variation after I get the tendon (hopefully) back in place.

The duckling has seriously become my little buddy. Today I got everybody out, hand fed and watered "Tiny" (new nickname...lol) for about a half hour at his pace, then he fell asleep with his head in my hand. I had to be at work at 530 this morning so I was tired too. Fell asleep for about an hour with him curled up under my chin, wrapped in the end of my blanket.

I have parrots, so I've become pretty accustom to very "light napping" when they're with me wherever I'm laying. Whenever I would move my head to check on him, he would chirp and wiggle his head back under my chin. I'm smitten. I need a better name for him eventually.

5. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost...

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    any update? :pop

GSDperson likes this.
  6. Pamela M Culp

Pamela M Culp In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2017
    Byron
    This is what I did for mine. Unfortunately I read that who ever hatched her should of treated it right away.

GSDperson likes this.
  7. Pamela M Culp

Pamela M Culp In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2017
    Byron
    You can get Niacin at Walmart in the vitamin section. Treat it right away even if it doesn't fit it all the way it will help. I bought capsules and opened it and dumped it in her drinker.

GSDperson likes this.
  8. SaeruhMariee

SaeruhMariee Chirping

May 27, 2017
    I'll be taking him to the (avian) vet tomorrow. Hopefully they can help. He's still eating and drinking just fine but minimal growth and his legs are beyond fixing at home. Wish us luck!

9. SaeruhMariee

SaeruhMariee Chirping

May 27, 2017
    Little guy

Attached Files:

Ravynscroft and GSDperson like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Aww he is adorable.

Sure hope the vet can help. :fl

Debs Flock and Ravynscroft like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: