Duckling with leg issue - any ideas?

You could by this if you want out to make one by cutting a plastic container like a cool whip container and cut like the size of the foot cover with vet wrap or tape so the edge are covered lay the foot onto it then use vet wrap to attach it to the foot making sure to go up around the ankle so it stays on. Wrap sung but make sure circulation isn't cut off.
Sometimes if it's a slipped tendon you can get it back in the groove if it isn't swollen that is when it really gets painful if it is a slipped tendon and you get it back into the groove look on That site poultry pedia they have a hock cushion you can make that may hold then tendon in place till healed. Only other thing I can think of is taking the duckling to an avian vet for diagnosis and treatment.
If you find it's not a slipped tendon then maybe during shipment the duckling got injured. Could have even been accidentally dropped. Just really hard to know.

We couldn’t feel any obvious tendon issues, but we’re obviously not experts. No swelling though or heat, it didn’t seem to mind being bandaged up.

For our first attempt at bandaging it, I think it’s ok. We’re going to try again in the morning and see if we can make it a little thinner, so it’s easier for her to walk around. She does sit with it kind of out to the side, I think just due to the size of the bandage, but hopefully that’s alright.

That boot looks good for first timer. I wonder if a hobble would help for a day along with the boot? Might hold the leg a proper angel too.

I'm wondering if she may have an injury And yes feel both hips and see if you can feel anything out of norm. She is trying hard to walk and keep up so maybe with the liquid b complex and the boot etc she'll get over this. Another thing you can do is water therapy without the boot of course. But fill the tub just deep enough they can float with warm water and let them have a blast they won't realize it's for leg strength they will just have a blast. Stay right with them and let them play as long as the water stays warm or they show they are ready to get out. The pat dry and right back under heat this is really good for leg strength and also will get them started on preening which will help them become water proof. You can place something heavy they can get up on in the tub but as long as you stay with them they probably won't need it.

@CoriM what do you think of a hobble do you think it would help?

I think it was more that the boot was kind of sticking to our hard wood floors, so we’re going to see if we can find a different wrap today that isn’t quite so bulky and sticky. We ordered those 3D printed boots from Etsy, so hopefully they will ship quickly.

We will also try a little swimming time! We gave them a big baking dish with water yesterday before we wrapped the foot and they both were able to get in and bop around. It wasn’t quite deep enough for them to get a good swim in though, so we will try the tub.

Our local TSC didn’t have any vet wrap in stock, so we used medical self stick bandage. I’m not sure how similar they are, but I’m hoping we can find some vet wrap today at a pet store and that it’s a bit thinner than the medical wrap.

So sweet of you to take in this little one, provide a friend, and go to such lengths.

Here is a thread where someone cured their duck's curled foot using a cut up credit card and bandaids. I noticed there are also a few more threads you might look at for ideas. It's good you're helping this one before it progresses too much. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/day-old-ducklings-feet-are-curled-under.50180/

Here is a video of foot taping in a chick with tape - just an option, might be less bulky, but you wouldn't want tape to stick to the webbing:

A hobbles might be good for a few days. You just take a tiny piece of vet wrap (I think it's the same thickness as first aid tape) and wrap a loop around each leg, then wrap a bigger loop connecting both legs so that they're held in proper position. It seems awkward, but it helps everything grow together properly and they can still get around. The bandage you have now is bulky and I totally see how difficult it is to find something slim when the duckling is so tiny, but looks like she's still not using the leg really, so a hobbles might help, and then just finding the right amount of exercise for her as it strengthens - don't over due it but let her use it to get to food and water. I would probably take care not to have the duckling walk too much to keep up with its friend, who will have lots of energy - maybe keep them in a small bin so that he's not overtaxing the leg. Water therapy is a great idea.

Sure hope you can help this little one!

We just took the wrap off for the first time today and the foot seems like it’s already starting to come forward.

They’re having some bath time right now and in the tub she doesn’t really seem to use that foot, only seems it to glide around. Although we did see her move it once or twice.

We got new vet wrap and the 3D printed splints will arrive on Friday.

Give it time you just got started, but happy to also hear you are seeing a positive change in her foot. If this is an injury it can take a while to heal and you are doing all you can to help her. Just keep her from running around trying to keep up with her buddy exercise like swimming and floating in water is the best since it takes the pressure off the legs .
I love to watch them in the tub they have so much fun.

Back
Top Bottom