Duckling with start of angel wing

We did start them with a duckling starter that was 22%. I have used the 18% last year and had no problems (with mallards). The 2 I have that I'm questioning are both my blue swedish, so I wondered if it was more of a genetic issue. Ours have just started to free range with our 3 pekin girls.
I believe angel wing is genetic as well. Have you ever raised blue swedish? Maybe it's the way they are standing. I still think its blood feather growth. It's the right age.

I believe angel wing is genetic as well. Have you ever raised blue swedish? Maybe it's the way they are standing. I still think its blood feather growth. It's the right age.
These are our first blues. We raised 7 Pekins, and hatched 10 mallards in previous years. This year we ordered 2 blue swedish, 2 Cayuga, and 2 Khaki Campbell's from a grower.

I used the nonfortified first. After reading up on it more, I started using fortified because it includes more vitamins, but not the vitamins that can be problematic in excessive amounts. I've used Lewis Labs non fortified and it was more powder like but I really liked the resealable container. Most recently I'm using Terrasoul superfoods fortified and I like the flake size. I don't like that it's a resealable bag but at least I'm still able to reseal it. I like the flavor of the Terrasoul. My daughter likes the Lewis Labs. My ducks didn't seem to have a preference between the yeasts, but I found they did prefer it :)

Here is her wing today (a week later). I have wrapped it 3 times, but she is a houdini!! 😆 She has the wrap/tape off in 20min. Thoughts???

Attachments

• PXL_20210724_161100950.jpg
    PXL_20210724_161100950.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 5
My Walmart had it by the gluten-free food on the very top shelf. I’d not know why.
My other grocery stores have it by the yeast.

Because its routinely used as a Vegan substitute for cheese. That's why most grocery stores are likely to locate it in places one does not immediately associate with yeast.

Otherwise, as regardss this thread generally, I will defer to the very excellent advice of @HeatherKellyB

and the differences between Nutritional Yeast and Brewers Yeast (for our purposes) is mostly in the nature of which B vitamins are naturally present in greatest quantity - but given the prevalence of "enriched" products on our grocery shelves, its not as cut and dried as it once was. Best advice?

Read the labels.

Just wanted to update... I was able to find a duck pellet locally (18%). I also got the nutritional yeast. I added one teaspoon each per scoop of feed to their ration. Her angel wing has fixed itself! I had tried wrapping it a few times, but was not successful in keeping it on longer than 20 min... She was not a fan! Thank you all for your suggestions! I think the nutritional yeast gave us the boost we needed!

Back
Top Bottom