Duckling with umbilical prolapse?

Meggraham27

In the Brooder
May 26, 2021
Help! I am not sure whats wrong with my freshly Hatched duckling! She hatched about 12 hours ago with this mass where the yolk sac gets absorbed. I thought maybe that could be it and she needed time to absorb so I left her about 12 hours but it’s still there. It’s firm, slightly squishy and white… please help! Maybe it will dry up and fall off but I’m worried about the little baby ..

Attachments

• E6AE498F-6961-4B0C-ACF3-D9492E9FF945.jpeg
    E6AE498F-6961-4B0C-ACF3-D9492E9FF945.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 6EB3AE41-C49A-4C84-ADD1-FFBD01AA785B.jpeg
    6EB3AE41-C49A-4C84-ADD1-FFBD01AA785B.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 43
I honestly have never seen anything quite like this. Maybe a form of gastroschisis where the intensities or organs spilled into the yolk sac? I've dealt with yolk sac that hadn't fully absorbed, but I've never seen anything to that degree and if it hasn't absorbed at all that would lead me to think it might not be yolk inside there.

Last edited:
That looks like the yolk sac in the second picture
I need more info
Did this baby hatch on its own or was this assisted ?
Can you wrap baby in a dry paper towel and put inside a small bowl do baby isn’t moving around as we don’t want that to rupture
Has it gone down at all n 12 hours
I’m worried it dried out and that’s what you don’t want to happen
Can you give me a run down of baby’s hatch and due date ect

That looks like the yolk sac in the second picture
I need more info
Did this baby hatch on its own or was this assisted ?
Can you wrap baby in a dry paper towel and put inside a small bowl do baby isn’t moving around as we don’t want that to rupture
Has it gone down at all n 12 hours
I’m worried it dried out and that’s what you don’t want to happen
Can you give me a run down of baby’s hatch and due date ect
She hatched this morning and was about a day late but hatched on her own. All the others were on time and didn’t have this issue! I wrapped her up and kept her on soft ground today but it looks like it’s maybe rupturing? Leaving what looks like yolk behind.. I soaked her in a little water to clean it off and put some betadine on it. I wrapped her back up with food and water and put back in the empty incubator (in a small confined area) to keep warm since I don’t want her to be with the others.. not quite sure what else to do?

I honestly have never seen anything quite like this. Maybe a form of gastroschisis where the intensities or organs spilled into the yolk sac? I've dealt with yolk sac that hadn't fully absorbed, but I've never seen anything to that degree and if it hasn't absorbed at all that would lead me to think it might not be yolk inside there.
Yes I am so confused. Still hasn’t absorbed… I’m hoping it’ll dry up and fall off and the baby will survive :(

Back
Top Bottom