Ducklings (5 days old) constantly emptying water - advice needed

Mrs Rusty

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2023
Hi there, I have 7 ducklings just 5 days old. They are in a large Guinea pig enclosure with heat lamp etc. pic attached for reference. They are constantly at the water. They don’t stop till it’s empty. I know they need access to water at all times but this is exhausting. I made a home made tray with mesh to catch at least some of the water, but I need solutions. Please can anyone help and offer advice so I’m not so overwhelmed. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpeg
    IMG_3778.jpeg
    730.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3709.jpeg
    IMG_3709.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3708.jpeg
    IMG_3708.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3776.jpeg
    IMG_3776.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 5
They are adorable! To answer your question, stop using the chicken waterer! Instead, a rubber-made food container or cleaned out food, like sour cream, container with holes cut out of the top works much better. I trace around a spoon for the shape. You can also just use a chick feeder with water in it.
EBA30466-504D-4ED1-9F01-5E6514B23788.jpeg

13C0CDA9-0046-41E3-B317-4886EE92300B.jpeg

I agree tbey need water deep enough to dunk their heads and those chicken waterers only work for the first 3 days for that
I add a container where they can dunk and also keep the chicken water one in case they run out of one
Cut holes in the lid
This prevents them from swimming in it
I also find once I start letting mine bath 1-2 times a day they stop trying to play in the water
I start bathing at day 3
This helps them to preen and build up oil as well as get the loose fluff to come out better

It looks like you have....7 that are about 2-3 weeks old?
You could move up to the gallon version of the waterer that you have- that will buy you a little time. Since they are in the brooder still, that might be the best option.
Also, if it is warm where you are, and you have some way to corral them- it might not be a bad idea to give them some supervised pool time daily. That will allow them to swim, and have access to water deep enough to clean their nares.
A “pool” just deep enough that they can barely touch the bottom, even if you have to put a brick or stone in a corner to make it easier for them to get out when they want to.
I find the low (under the bed style) totes, or an open kitty litter box to be good pools at this stage. And I use whatever I have one hand as a “fence” on my deck (usually one of those folding “dog pens”) so they can be out of the pool when they want but are still corralled.
IMO
It is likely they are staying at the water because it isn’t deep enough for them to dunk their beaks and clear their nares.
The gallon version of that “chicken waterer” does have a little deeper basin, but it is still questionable as the only water source IMO.
I like the idea from @cheezenkwackers ... but they might be too small still to go in from the top of a short container like that?

I have a 5 gallon round bucket that I cut 2” wide x 4” tall ovals around the sides for my adults’ supplemental water.
The bottom of the ovals are about 4.5” from the bottom. I fill it twice a day (I give them water overnight and just move the bucket in/ out of their coop). The adults also have constant access to their pool, but the bucket is a good back up in case the pool gets too hot in the summertime when I’m away from home and can’t refresh it.
Mine isn’t quite like this, but this is where I got the idea.
You could also probably find a baby size plastic container of some sort to use for your youngsters if you aren’t in a position to offer pool time -
https://www.permaculturenews.org/2013/05/20/poo-free-self-filling-duck-waterer/

It looks like you have....7 that are about 2-3 weeks old?
You could move up to the gallon version of the waterer that you have- that will buy you a little time. Since they are in the brooder still, that might be the best option.
Also, if it is warm where you are, and you have some way to corral them- it might not be a bad idea to give them some supervised pool time daily. That will allow them to swim, and have access to water deep enough to clean their nares.
A “pool” just deep enough that they can barely touch the bottom, even if you have to put a brick or stone in a corner to make it easier for them to get out when they want to.
I find the low (under the bed style) totes, or an open kitty litter box to be good pools at this stage. And I use whatever I have one hand as a “fence” on my deck (usually one of those folding “dog pens”) so they can be out of the pool when they want but are still corralled.
IMO
It is likely they are staying at the water because it isn’t deep enough for them to dunk their beaks and clear their nares.
The gallon version of that “chicken waterer” does have a little deeper basin, but it is still questionable as the only water source IMO.
I like the idea from @cheezenkwackers ... but they might be too small still to go in from the top of a short container like that?

I have a 5 gallon round bucket that I cut 2” wide x 4” tall ovals around the sides for my adults’ supplemental water.
The bottom of the ovals are about 4.5” from the bottom. I fill it twice a day (I give them water overnight and just move the bucket in/ out of their coop). The adults also have constant access to their pool, but the bucket is a good back up in case the pool gets too hot in the summertime when I’m away from home and can’t refresh it.
Mine isn’t quite like this, but this is where I got the idea.
You could also probably find a baby size plastic container of some sort to use for your youngsters if you aren’t in a position to offer pool time -
https://www.permaculturenews.org/2013/05/20/poo-free-self-filling-duck-waterer/
Hi there, they are only 5 days old!!!!! They are getting so big already. Ok, I have made the yogurt pot water holder as suggested above to try them out, but doesn’t really solve the overnight water solution as not sure it would be enough. I bought a paint tray and they’ve loved having a little swim today. They spent 10 mins or so splashing and dunking in about 3 inches of water. So lovely to see. Hopefully this is the answer as they are all sleepy and preened now under the heat lamp. Gosh it’s like having babies. The water problem really would save me a lot of work so I’ll keep researching. The gallon waterer might also be a great option 👍🏻

Hi there, they are only 5 days old!!!!! They are getting so big already. Ok, I have made the yogurt pot water holder as suggested above to try them out, but doesn’t really solve the overnight water solution as not sure it would be enough. I bought a paint tray and they’ve loved having a little swim today. They spent 10 mins or so splashing and dunking in about 3 inches of water. So lovely to see. Hopefully this is the answer as they are all sleepy and preened now under the heat lamp. Gosh it’s like having babies. The water problem really would save me a lot of work so I’ll keep researching. The gallon waterer might also be a great option 👍🏻
I am in the UK by the way and it’s a little cold at the moment to have them outside, but in a few weeks that is also an option.

They are adorable! To answer your question, stop using the chicken waterer! Instead, a rubber-made food container or cleaned out food, like sour cream, container with holes cut out of the top works much better. I trace around a spoon for the shape. You can also just use a chick feeder with water in it.
View attachment 3620871

View attachment 3620874
Thank you. I have just ordered a chick feeder from Amazon and about to try the pot idea, which I love. I’ll be on the hunt for the ideal sized one tomorrow at the grocery store.

"Gosh it’s like having babies."

Yes, I feel your pain. Near constant cleaning, feeding, changing water. It gets easier when they are feathered enough to get lots of outdoor time. A deep waterer, a gallon waterer, and an occasional swim will meet their needs for now. In 5 days you've seen 'em go from tiny to medium. They grow a few millimeters every time we see them.

[You may already know this, yet I recently raised 2 groups of ducklings and learned the hard way. The 1st ducklings turned out to be rascals and sometimes a pain until I pinned 'em. The 2nd batch are respectful, trusting, and trainable. Don't let the cute little buggers rat-a-tat-tat peck you like a jack hammer, an occasional peck is fine. It's dominance behavior and leads to you getting hurtful pecks when they're a little older. Gently and briskly put your finger and thumb around their necks and press down on their backs till they lie/sit. Gently hold 'em down for what should seem like longer than they want. At this age that may only be 10 or 20 seconds, but if you let 'em up too early, they think they've won. When you have 'em down, you only need to hold 'em just firmly enough so that they don't get away. Often, they relent and calmly wait. Some will learn after once, usually they'll accept you without pecking after twice. It's a bonding experience that will enrich your pet & pet owner experience.]

They look ready to be your best friends.

"Gosh it’s like having babies."

Yes, I feel your pain. Near constant cleaning, feeding, changing water. It gets easier when they are feathered enough to get lots of outdoor time. A deep waterer, a gallon waterer, and an occasional swim will meet their needs for now. In 5 days you've seen 'em go from tiny to medium. They grow a few millimeters every time we see them.

[You may already know this, yet I recently raised 2 groups of ducklings and learned the hard way. The 1st ducklings turned out to be rascals and sometimes a pain until I pinned 'em. The 2nd batch are respectful, trusting, and trainable. Don't let the cute little buggers rat-a-tat-tat peck you like a jack hammer, an occasional peck is fine. It's dominance behavior and leads to you getting hurtful pecks when they're a little older. Gently and briskly put your finger and thumb around their necks and press down on their backs till they lie/sit. Gently hold 'em down for what should seem like longer than they want. At this age that may only be 10 or 20 seconds, but if you let 'em up too early, they think they've won. When you have 'em down, you only need to hold 'em just firmly enough so that they don't get away. Often, they relent and calmly wait. Some will learn after once, usually they'll accept you without pecking after twice. It's a bonding experience that will enrich your pet & pet owner experience.]

They look ready to be your best friends.
Thanks so much for the advice. All taken on board. It’s hard work, but very rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom