We have a Cayuga female and a mallard drake. The Cayuga has laid many eggs, but would not sit, and we have had a problem with snakes and another as-of--yet unidentified predator. Because of these combined issues, we began collecting the eggs and incubating them. We are currently securing the chicken and duck coops, but keeping them all inside at night until this is completed. They are free range during the day. The first duckling appears to be ready to hatch any day now. How long do I have to get it out to its mom? If the coop is not complete, should I keep the baby and raise it by hand until bigger? What are the repercussions? Will mom accept it if we wait? We want to do whatever is best and safest for all.