Ducklings about the hatch, help!

Thanks so much. It is a relief to hear. I was scared I dried him out last night
1f62c.png
I'll post pics if I can capture anything

It's actually much harder to shrinkwrap them than it sounds in most of the written advice... it's not instant and takes time at much lower humidity levels than that, so no worries... :)

Can't wait to see little Nemo!

Thanks for the info. He still has not made any external visible changes, but the egg looks like it is vibrating at times and I just heard one tiny peep. We are approaching 22 hours since the pip. Do I keep waiting or do I need to help some. I know he still has awhile before he is fully out, but should he have zipped by now or soon? I did get a pretty good time lapse video of a small roll at about 2 today

Nope, just sit on your hands for now... I know how hard it is to wait, but Nemo is probably still absorbing yolk and waiting for veins to recede...

A lot of times they start punching around a bit before they'll actually start zipping... give him a chance to zip before trying to help... if he starts zipping and doesn't finish within about an hour, then he may need some assistance...

Hang in there... it's worth the wait... :)

Thanks. I am excited to meet him, but scared he is struggling. When is a good "cutoff" if he hasn't zipped? What would I do at that point?

I wouldn't start worrying until about 40 hours. Even 48 is not uncommon. Alot of times they are under 36, but ducks like to test our patience. As long as you hear peeping, and see a little movement, he is likely fine.

You can talk to him, sing to him, play chick/duckling peeping videos to him. He will react!

Shine your flashlight across the pip, that usually gets reactions too. But he needs time to rest and absorb all the veins and yolk before he's ready to make his grand appearance.

Last edited:
I wouldn't start worrying until about 40 hours. Even 48 is not uncommon. Alot of times they are under 36, but ducks like to test our patience. As long as you hear peeping, and see a little movement, he is likely fine.

You can talk to him, sing to him, play chick/duckling peeping videos to him. He will react!

Shine your flashlight across the pip, that usually gets reactions too. But he needs time to rest and absorb all the veins and yolk before he's ready to make his grand appearance.

X2! :)

Thank you so much. It's like my first baby!

Every time, too, lol...

Where are you located? Try to get some rest tonite, tomorrow should be an exciting day and getting rest tomorrow night may be more difficult. :D

:fl

Back
Top Bottom