Ducklings about the hatch, help!

Socc04b

Chirping
Aug 2, 2016
We have a Cayuga female and a mallard drake. The Cayuga has laid many eggs, but would not sit, and we have had a problem with snakes and another as-of--yet unidentified predator. Because of these combined issues, we began collecting the eggs and incubating them. We are currently securing the chicken and duck coops, but keeping them all inside at night until this is completed. They are free range during the day. The first duckling appears to be ready to hatch any day now. How long do I have to get it out to its mom? If the coop is not complete, should I keep the baby and raise it by hand until bigger? What are the repercussions? Will mom accept it if we wait? We want to do whatever is best and safest for all.

Sure! Your body temp us is plenty to keep him warm.

Just be warned, he will expect it like a crying human child! Lol!
But so precious. I had Opie inside from hatch because his mom rejected him and oh my gosh such a special time. I loved it. I would put a towel over my shoulder and he would climb up my arm and lay just like he was under his mamas body it was so sweet. Your right though @WVduckchick I had to keep him close by all the time. I would also take him out side for short adventures so we could be around the other ducks/chickens and geese. He always stayed right with me but it was summer so I didn't have to worry about him getting chilled Then I could bring him inside and put him in his brooder and he'd have a good nap and I could get some things done. He and I are still close he even comes and snuggles with me while I pet him and talk to him. He is 5 yrs old now. Oh we also put thick towels up on the bed and snuggled with him in bed before bedtime oh gosh was that special can you tell we love that drake. lol

@Socc04b you spoil him all you want. after all you are his/her mommy.

Nemo pipped last night around 9 ish. The egg moved a bit then, and was slightly quivering this morning. I am resisting the urge to open the incubator, but it is driving me crazy!!! I want to candle him to make sure he's moving/progressing, but I've read the risks of shrink wrapping. I'm having a little trouble keeping the humidity up, but it's getting better. I'm posting a pic from last night. His pip is just below the "N"

That's a good pip! :thumbsup

Now hang on, cuz here comes the hard part... ducklings take what feels like FOREVER to hatch, lol... they can take anywhere from 24-48 hrs after pip to zipping and hatch... can you hear peeping? If you can then just monitor that and make sure it doesn't sound distressed and all should be ok...

What is your humidity at?

Is Nemo peeping? How does it sound? If it sounds weak or like he's struggling then he may need help... but if not, let him keep working... as long as he can breathe and isn't drying out he should be ok...

Agreed. Watch the membrane around the pip. As long as it stays white or grayish looking, he's probably fine. Brown would indicate drying out, so just keep an eye on him. The egg shaking is really good!

Now I'm gonna watch the video lol

Is there anyway to tell before proceeding if his yolk has been fully absorbed? Just for peace of mind. I don't want to help too early, but I don't want to wait too long either!

Its a fine line, I know. They are so balled up in there, you really can't tell until you open it up some.
But, the way they are laying is their back is down, toward the membrane/shell, back of the neck is up by the air cell, head folded forward, beak under left wing. Legs wherever they can go lol! So the butt is near in the pointy end, belly/yolk in the center. Clear as mud? Lol

Back
Top Bottom