Ducklings about the hatch, help!

Socc04b

Chirping
Aug 2, 2016
We have a Cayuga female and a mallard drake. The Cayuga has laid many eggs, but would not sit, and we have had a problem with snakes and another as-of--yet unidentified predator. Because of these combined issues, we began collecting the eggs and incubating them. We are currently securing the chicken and duck coops, but keeping them all inside at night until this is completed. They are free range during the day. The first duckling appears to be ready to hatch any day now. How long do I have to get it out to its mom? If the coop is not complete, should I keep the baby and raise it by hand until bigger? What are the repercussions? Will mom accept it if we wait? We want to do whatever is best and safest for all.

We have a Cayuga female and a mallard drake. The Cayuga has laid many eggs, but would not sit, and we have had a problem with snakes and another as-of--yet unidentified predator. Because of these combined issues, we began collecting the eggs and incubating them. We are currently securing the chicken and duck coops, but keeping them all inside at night until this is completed. They are free range during the day. The first duckling appears to be ready to hatch any day now. How long do I have to get it out to its mom? If the coop is not complete, should I keep the baby and raise it by hand until bigger? What are the repercussions? Will mom accept it if we wait? We want to do whatever is best and safest for all.
If your females Cayuga hasn't been interested in sitting on her eggs she will not accept these ducklings at all and could injure or kill them. So your it Mama Duck brood them inside until they are large enough to go outside to sleep then you'll have to slowly introduce them to their mom and dad [in name only]

Welcome to BYC Socc04 and ducklings take their own sweet time at hatching so don't get ahead of them and think they need help it may take 24 36 hrs before they even externally pip. Keep us updated lots of folks experienced at hatching in bators.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick reply, that answers my question.

To stop her from laying fertile eggs, do we just have to separate her from the drake or are there other options? Anytime he is separated from her, he seems completely lost. We love them, but don't want to overpopulate. They are part of a farm animal rescue / sanctuary so we want to be mindful of all we do with them. The first duckling is the only survivor from the first group of about 25 eggs we found in several places. She has continued laying eggs, and there are about 4-5 viable ones that are a week behind this one. We were unsure of the exact start of the egg that is about to hatch, but have marked all the other ones to be able to track them better. I have 2 incubators going, since they are on separate time tables.

It is hard to be patient, but I am making it by doing as much research as I can while we wait for him. It is so cool to see him growing inside the egg, and we want to meet him
1f498.png
. We are calling him Nemo, since he is the only survivor from the first clutch.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, that answers my question.

To stop her from laying fertile eggs, do we just have to separate her from the drake or are there other options? Anytime he is separated from her, he seems completely lost. We love them, but don't want to overpopulate. They are part of a farm animal rescue / sanctuary so we want to be mindful of all we do with them. The first duckling is the only survivor from the first group of about 25 eggs we found in several places. She has continued laying eggs, and there are about 4-5 viable ones that are a week behind this one. We were unsure of the exact start of the egg that is about to hatch, but have marked all the other ones to be able to track them better. I have 2 incubators going, since they are on separate time tables.

It is hard to be patient, but I am making it by doing as much research as I can while we wait for him. It is so cool to see him growing inside the egg, and we want to meet him
1f498.png
. We are calling him Nemo, since he is the only survivor from the first clutch.
You don't have to separate them at all just take up all the eggs she lays and either eat them or give them away. There is no duckling until incubation begins so you won't have to worry about over populating. I keep my drakes with my females and just make sure to pick up all eggs daily. I have Muscovy you don't dare leave an egg over night you'll find a duck sitting on it in the morning.
hmm.png
Aww can't wait to see Nemo..

Nemo pipped last night around 9 ish. The egg moved a bit then, and was slightly quivering this morning. I am resisting the urge to open the incubator, but it is driving me crazy!!! I want to candle him to make sure he's moving/progressing, but I've read the risks of shrink wrapping. I'm having a little trouble keeping the humidity up, but it's getting better. I'm posting a pic from last night. His pip is just below the "N"

Nemo pipped last night around 9 ish. The egg moved a bit then, and was slightly quivering this morning. I am resisting the urge to open the incubator, but it is driving me crazy!!! I want to candle him to make sure he's moving/progressing, but I've read the risks of shrink wrapping. I'm having a little trouble keeping the humidity up, but it's getting better. I'm posting a pic from last night. His pip is just below the "N"

I see it.. Lets get you some help and encouragement since I don't use a bator @WVduckchick

@RavynFallen

Last edited:

That's a good pip! :thumbsup

Now hang on, cuz here comes the hard part... ducklings take what feels like FOREVER to hatch, lol... they can take anywhere from 24-48 hrs after pip to zipping and hatch... can you hear peeping? If you can then just monitor that and make sure it doesn't sound distressed and all should be ok...

What is your humidity at?

Thanks for the reply and checking in. I've got humidity holding at 70-72. Last night I could not get it past 65. I haven't heard any sounds yet, but I did just see it rock back and forth. I'm glad to hear it's a good pip. All my knowledge has been acquired in the last few weeks of reading everything I can find. Never handled eggs of any sort before! It's exciting

Good to hear about movement, and don't worry if you don't hear peeping for a bit... some take a little longer than others to find their voices...

Humidity sounds fine, and just for future reference, 65 is within perfect range as well... that's actually what I shoot for when I hatch my Call ducks... :)

Back
Top Bottom