Ducklings and cornmeal?

FeatheredDuck

Hatching
Mar 27, 2018
alright so my family is on a tight budget and im looking for solutions to feeding my ducklings. can they be fed cornmeal or will it hurt them?

Don't. Ducklings need at least 18% protein, and corn has 8% protein. Just buy the cheap 50 lb bag of chick starter for $16 at your local feed store. Get the stuff with the most recent mill date and it'll last you longer.

If you are on that tight a budget, you may need to rehome your chicks. Cornmeal is much more expensive than chick starter. For ducks, IMO, they should have multi flock starter which I believe is higher in protein than chick starter. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong. Your ducks could be irreversibly harmed if they do not have adequate feed.

Yes, the chip non medicated chicken strarter 18-20% will work. Around 2.5- 3 weeks you need switch to lower protein 17-16%. The weather is getting better, so let them eat grass, bugs - free stuff. Some breeds of ducks are good foragers. Good luck

I recently picked up khaki Campbell ducks and I wanted to know the same thing. Can I feed them cornmeal? They are one and a half years old.

Can you clarify if your asking about feeding corn as a main course or a snack. As snack or treat, yes, just don't give to much as it's the lowest protein grain there is. As a main staple, absolutely not. Way to low in protein, and also way to low in vitamins/minerals. Ducks are extremely fast growing and need the proper balance of vitamins/minerals or they will be unhealthy and have skeleton issues. Niacin deficiency will cause them to go lame and be unable to walk. A bag of proper feed is cheap, and ducks that go lame or die are useless to you.

Back
Top Bottom