Ducklings and no heat lamp :( what to do

NewHopePoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Troy,Missouri
The 3 ducklings and 2 goslings I got the other day are in my new house under the heat lamp.
I got 5 3 week old ducklings and their heat lamp stopped working, its 10:45 at night, so I cant go and get another one.
I cant bring them inside the house, and they are in the duck shed, since its summer one window(with bars over it) is open and cant be shut(its boardered up during the winter, but taken off in the summer) up until it has been nice outside and now suddenly, its like 30 degrees
Theres 5 of them in a 35 gallon tote, but I dont know if if will be enough to last during the night.
I put a cover over the open window and cover the top of the ducks tub with a towel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to us being in the middle of moving, we have like nothing here,but clothes, no even food for us
sad.png

Do you have another type of lamp you can use? a 60 or 100 watt regular bulb will give off some heat. Just make sure it won't be a fire hazard. I used a 60 watt in my heat lamp because my bulb burnt out late at night. It was really cold here that night too but they huddled under it and seemed fine.

Um, do you have a regular light bulb? Convenience store run might be in order. Or you could just snuggle down for sleep with a few duckling in your shirt.... not really, but...

I had this same thing with my ducks at about 3 1/2 week old. I just threw down extra straw and they were good to go. I know they are young but mine survived and are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom