Ducklings and no heat lamp :( what to do

Quote:
I saw you have just moved but do you have some other type of LAMP to use? Just something with a regular bulb will give off some heat.

Our electric went out the other night and I filled the duck bin with hay which is a great insulator is you happen to have it. I have horses so it is always available. Then i covered the bin with a horse blanket. Just suggestions. I'd hate for the little duckies to freeze.

I have some straw, I had planned on picking some up tomorrow.
I'm going to dig throw the boxes and see if I can find a lamp, we dont have everything here yet.

a late night run to the store may be in order.... Even if you just get some of those hand warmers (the kind you shake and put in your pockets during the winter). My walmart has them, and i live in Alabama where's it been warm for awhile now, so your store should still have them... I'd check walgreens, rite aid, walmart, cvs, etc.... They are cheap, 2 for like 1.25, and they last all night. You can put them under their bedding or underneath a small rag (i'd put it under something since they can get hot!). It should keep them snuggly for the night.

If that's a no go, you def need to get them some extra bedding, like straw, and cover them with a blanket to help hold in their heat.

Wal-Mart is over an hour away
sad.png
I wish it was closer,but I dont have a way there. My husband works over night and has the truck.
I feel so horrible

if you have a foyer, or a walkway entrance, you could put them in that 35gal tote and put the tote there. Maybe even put the tote in the tub just so they stay warm. (that way your tub stays clean too, and if you need the tub, you can simply pick the tote up out of the tub)

I personally would not leave them outside if it's that cold. They may be fine, but it seems awfully risky. I live with ducks in my house 24/7 every single day (they are currently watching me type, lol, waiting for their bath in the tub)... It's not too horrible
wink.png
One night should't be too much of a bother...

I dont mind them being in the house,but everyone else does.
I've been going out an checking on them, its still warm in the tote and the duck house.
But if it does get too cold, I will bring them in, no matter what anyone else says

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it is morning now how did your birds do? I was going to suggest filling 2L bottles or covered pans with warm water(assuming you have some way to heat water) and placing them in the center of your large tote, the birds will collect around the heat source and each other to keep warm. I have kept birds warm this way once when our power was out for 8 days. The only heat in the house was propane gas logs. I used 2 5qt dutch ovens. warmed water by setting the pans by the gas logs while one was warming the birds, the other would be rewarmed by the gas logs then I would switch. They came through it just fine.

Back
Top Bottom