Joylime322

Songster
Aug 27, 2020
Happy morning BYC Community! I may have done a thing.... My neighbors duck recently laid an a few eggs and when they cracked one open to eat there were cells and a few veins! So I took the other egg (on impulse hehe) and stuck it in my NR 360... But I have 25 quail eggs arriving on Friday night. So, is it okay that I "did this thing"? It is a small egg (one of the duck's first!)... Is it okay that I stuck it in the incubator? Is okay that my lil quail bebes are gonna be incubated with it? Have a fantastical day!
~~ JoyLime

I’ve successfully hatched different species from the same incubator, with different hatch dates even. I definitely wouldn’t worry about the humidity being a problem for the duck egg, at lockdown for the quail. It will only be mid incubation for the duck egg as they take around 28 days, where the quail take 16-18 days. Duck eggs usually do better with higher humidity anyways so I personally wouldn’t feel the few days it’ll be a bit on the high side as an issue.
Housing is completely a different story. I’ve had ducklings that are 2 days old damage a fresh hatched, 12 hour old duckling just because they grow fast and they’re clumsy. They would 100% injure or kill quail, whether or not they mean to. If you want to use the same brooder, you’ll definitely have to divide it and adjust as the duckling grows. Best to find a friend for the duck if it hatches and keep it away from quail. :)

No. The duckling is too big and will make it too damp for the quail
IF the duckling does hatch, will it be lonely? Should I try to get a second or third egg? Or (because it is the ducks first egg) is the egg hatching unlikely so I should just try to do the one?

Back
Top Bottom